Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Osaka/Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2001, 6:58 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Hotels in Osaka/Kyoto

Will be travelling to the abovementioned two cities next month. Any advice on what hotels to stay in ? I am Starwood Plat, Hilton diamond and Hyatt GP diamond.
Old Mar 1, 2001, 7:28 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
The Hyatt in Osaka is quite out of the way unless you are doing business in the immediate area. If you make to Tokyo try, if you can afford it, to stay at the Park Hyatt -- possibily the best in world.
Old Mar 1, 2001, 7:59 pm

I agree that the Part Hyatt Hyatt Tokyo is one of the finest hotels in the world. Also, the Hotel Nikko at the Osaka airport is great.
Old Mar 2, 2001, 3:30 am

For Osaka, Hilton International is very conviniently located right in front of the Osaka station, the hub of all transportation system in the area. Westin Osaka offers a little more quite, boutique like feeling but requires a 7 minute walk in the tunnel passageway from Osaka station.

For Tokyo, Park Hyatt Tokyo outshines all other Hyatts I have ever stayed worldwide.
Westin Tokyo is also a top-notch luxury property. Both Park Hyatt and Westin Tokyo, however, are not quite centrally located in downtown Tokyo and require some taxi and train rides to get to Ginza and more traditonal financial districts.

Old Mar 2, 2001, 6:48 am

Programs: Many
Another vote for Park Hyatt Tokyo!
Old Mar 2, 2001, 8:34 am

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
While in Osaka, make sure to visit Universal Studios Japan theme park. It officially opens on March 31st, but I was there for a sneak preview yesterday and it is truly incredible! It is about 15 minutes from downtown by train, near the Hyatt.
Old Mar 2, 2001, 8:52 am

freqflyer -
where in Osaka do you need to be. As others have stated, the Hyatt is off the beaten track. The Westin and Hilton are central, near JR Osaka (note: this is not Shin-Osaka station where the bullet train stops). If
you will be near Namba, where the Nankai line has its rapit: trains leave for KIX,
the Nankai South Tower hotel isn't bad, IMHO.
btw, contrary to my nick, I am caucasian American.
Old Mar 2, 2001, 9:54 am

For hotels in Kyoto, I recommend:
The Miyako: old hotel, but luxurious. Beautiful view of the city.
Kyoto Hotel: new hotel, right in the center of downtown Kyoto. If you enjoy walking the city, it is a great place to stay (my favorite).
Most central: Granvia: in the train station.

Kyoto is the ancient capital of Japan, and is quite different to the other major cities: the Kyoto hotel and the train station are the tallest buildings in the city (only around 20 floors).
Great place to visit.
Old Mar 2, 2001, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
No offense to the original and subsequent posters but this topic belongs in General TravelTalk, fyi.

Please, let's keep The Buzz forum for its stated purpose: Discussion of the latest frequent flyer buzz .... Great examples are the threads on the Gold Challenge for Hilton and the various Kelloggs promos. Threads on the ramifications of the Seattle earthquake and London Underground strike info REALLY belong in General TravelTalk rather than The Buzz.

Thanks folks.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 5:41 am

Not trying to perpetuate the wrong location but... I travel mainly to Tokyo, but have been to Kyoto over weekends a couple of times. If your visiting Kyoto for pleasure, have you thought about staying in a Ryokan? These are uniquely Japanese Inn's and Kyoto is filled with them. In my opinion, a truly great way to get the feeling of the place. (and get a good night's sleep on a futon in a tatami room)

Jenn
Old Mar 6, 2001, 7:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks for all the opinions. I am actually on vacation so I do not need to be anywhere in particular in Osaka. Is the Hyatt really very out of the way ? How is it as a hotel ? Any opinions on the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay ?
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:01 pm

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay is near from Tokyo Disney Land, both of which is not in Tokyo! It is at least 30min away from central Tokyo, 60min from Shinjuku...

I put my votes on Hilton Osaka and Hotel Granvia Kyoto. A hill-side view from Granvia Kyoto was wonderful. Because there are only few tall buildings around, you can easily map it with your paper map.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:12 pm

I second the Miyako in Kyoto as a good place to stay. As well as Western-style (i.e. pretty non-descript)accomodation, the Miyako also boasts a number of traditional Japanese rooms - surrounded by beautiful gardens - separate to the main hotel building. Its a very peaceful and relaxing environment and a great way to experience Ryokan-type accomodation whilst enjoying the conveniences of a major Hotel.

If you're heading down to the south of Japan, you should also visit ***uoka - great shopping, nightlife, galleries etc. Besides, the (very pleasant) Hyatt there is a good deal cheaper than the PH in Tokyo
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:16 pm

Stayed at the ANA Kyoto, which is directly across from Nijo Castle, Kyoto fortress of the Tokugawa shoguns. It is several blocks from the Kyoto Imperial Palace. Although it is too far to walk to shopping and restaurant districts, it is a block from the subway line which will take you all over the city.

Room rates are reasonable (21,000 yen including tax and service) and include buffet breakfast - a big plus considering Japan is, based on my experience, second only to London in charging outrageous prices for full breakfast. If you stay here, make sure you get a room overlooking the Nijo castle.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 8:28 pm

If money for a ryokan in Kyoto is no object (JPY 40000+) a stay at Tawara-ya or Hiiragi-ya should be on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.