Wiki Posts
Search

Long Distance Mileage Craziness

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 1999, 10:15 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Long Distance Mileage Craziness

Four weeks ago, my wife decided to play an experiment with one of our home telephone lines. She was earning NW miles with MCI and switched to Sprint (profit: 5000 NW miles). A week later, she got a check in the mail from AT&T that she could cash if she switched. She deposited the check (profit: $50.00) and the phone line went from Sprint to AT&T a week later. The invoice for Sprint came last week and she promptly paid it thus fulfilling her requirements to secure the 5000 NW miles. Tonight, a rep from MCI called begging her to return. While I was entertaining our 9 month old in the den, she returned after being away for 20 minutes smiling from ear to ear. (Profit: $50 phone credit, 30 free minutes per month for 6 months and 5000 UA miles).

We have four lines in our home (home business included). I wonder when she is going to start this game with the other lines!
Old Feb 3, 1999, 5:51 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Will you be giving her a section on your new page?
Old Feb 3, 1999, 5:59 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Don't you LUV it when they beg?

We have three lines at home and I have three lines in my office. Amazing the way the miles can pile up. Your wife hit on the other key -- when they call to beg, make them pay. Most will give up free time and if you play the game well, also a credit on your bill. AT&T loves to send checks -- we just all the way to the bank...
Old Feb 3, 1999, 6:56 am
Original Member

I work in telecom and saw an interesting presentation a couple years ago by one of the big companies (Andersen Consulting, I think) presenting two views of the future. The first was a vignette of designers working on a new car design and musing about how to include links to wireless services from the car itself (somewhat like OnStar). The other vignette was a suburban area, where you saw several backyards, people out, radio playing. Every other ad on the radio was for a new phone company, and the final scene was a man resting on a hammock, furiously entering the codes into his wireless phone to respond to each of the offers on the radio ads ($50 credit with XYZ--just enter code 12234. 500 minutes with PDQ--just enter code 9876).

this was shown at an industry conference to get us to thinking, but I thought it was apt.
Old Feb 3, 1999, 11:51 am
Commander Catcop

As I said, it's great you all are earning all those miles, but all that switching would make my head spin!!! Just wish my AT&T had more airline and hotels partners! CATMAN
Old Feb 7, 1999, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Help! Time to switch from MCI back to AT&T. I was going to switch for miles to British Airways (Global Travel Program promotion)- but they tell me that program is closed. Any promotions out there for miles for AT&T switch. I have not been solicited with money lately, but rather have miles anyway! Thanks for any help with this. Renee
Old Feb 7, 1999, 10:28 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
AT&T is partners with Marriott Rewards. There's information on the offer on the Marriott Rewards website at http://www.marriottrewards.com
Old Feb 7, 1999, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Starwood(Sheraton) is also partners with AT&T. If you switch, you get 1,000 Starwood points and you earn 1 Starpoint for every dollar spent. I already had AT&T, but I signed up to start getting the points. Note though, that when I called and said "Starwood", the person I talked to had no idea about it, but I mentioned "Sheraton" and she new. I guess not everyone is used to it yet!

Regards,
- Anna
Old Feb 7, 1999, 11:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
AT&T also partners with Hilton HHonors. There was a 3000 point bonus for signing up with AT&T (I think the offer is still good) and 7000 bonus points if you sign-up with AT&T Wireless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.