Wiki Posts
Search

Full Fare (Y) upgrades to First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 1998, 2:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Full Fare (Y) upgrades to First Class

I have noticed over the past few months, that certain airlines on certain routes will automatically upgrade Y-class fares to A-class at time of ticketing. I am told that this varies by airline and market served.

The two flight segments that this has happened on are UA LGA/IAD and US PHL/ORF.

Last week, I flew NW Richmond, Va to Detroit, and asked the gate attendant for an upgrade, and I got it. I ask from time-to-time, but this was the first time I got it for asking.

I wonder what others' experience is on upgrades w/o elite status.

John
Old Dec 8, 1998, 2:11 pm
Original Member

I have no experience with that situation personally, but I think it is a really good idea for the airlines.

Whenever I get upgraded (due to elite-level) and see empty first class seats (not often, but it does happen on occasion), I always wonder if there aren't some Y fare passengers, or just Joe Averages with a discounted ticket back there who would be thrilled and appreciative of an unexpected upgrade.

It would be great PR for the airline. What do you think?
Old Dec 8, 1998, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
It has happened once to me on an AA flight to Brazil (MIA-GIG). I was on regular coach back there and once we landed in Rio, the F-A came to me and asked if I wanted to sit in the front- I said sure and she gave me seat 1A in First. Quite a treat to tell you the truth. Too bad my connecting flight was very short. I'm not sure if that was a random act of kindness on her part, but I surely did like it.
Old Dec 8, 1998, 5:00 pm
Original Member

The flight attendants got to know me too and on a Europe to USA flight, the head flight attendant gave me a friendly upgrade from coach to first - but I think it was because coach was oversold, not sure though.
Old Dec 8, 1998, 5:12 pm
Original Member

I believe that the upgrade is a policy on US and NW (specifically NW calls it "ConnectFirst") if you are on a full fare ticket. UA probably does it to get some o&d traffic btwn NY and IAD.
Old Dec 9, 1998, 6:28 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Continental also has a fare basis YONEPASS which is full fare Y but tickets in F...

AmericaWorst has a similar program...
Old Jan 9, 1999, 3:50 pm
EMD
Original Member

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record - but always ask for an upgrade on TWA - I've never seen an empty seat in first class and have gotten upgrades at least 30% of the time.
Old Jan 9, 1999, 5:53 pm
Original Member

TWA has a Y-up full coach fare that can be upgraded to first class regardless you're a TWA FF or not. You can be upgraded to first class at the time you book your flight.

The only catch I can see is that there are a limited number of Y-up fares available. There are additional Y fares, but you have to be a TWA FF to upgrade these to first class at the time of booking.

And as EMD says, you can have access to the Ambassador's Club on the day(s) you fly on any TWA Y fare, even if you're not a member.
Old Jan 10, 1999, 6:16 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Don't know if this is still the case but it's one of the reasons I won't fly TW anymore --

No mileage bonus for YUP fares...
Old Jan 11, 1999, 10:19 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I cannot comment on TWA, but I can tell you that upgraded Y fares on US, UA and NW record at 150%.

John
Old Jan 11, 1999, 10:22 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
on UA the class bonus for upgraded full-fare Y depends:

2-class-flight: upgrade to first = 50% bonus
3-class-flight: upgrade to business = 25 % bonus.
Old Jan 11, 1999, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Will UA upgrade full Y fares to business (or first) class without upgrade certificates?
Old Jan 11, 1999, 3:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
that's the normal procedure as far as it happened to me, but I am not very experienced in this, as I normally fly on visit-usa-fares in US and Canada.
Old Jan 11, 1999, 5:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

>>> Will UA upgrade full Y fares to business (or first) class without upgrade certificates?

Yes, but only on certain routes, and subject to availability. There must be an "A" class ticket available. You can check on www.biztravel.com, or www.easysabre.com. If available, ticket will be issued as FIRST CLASS, no standby.

On the other hand, you stand a very low chance of being upgraded at the gate if your ticket is "Y" with coach seating.

John
Old Jan 11, 1999, 7:14 pm
Original Member

TWA Aviators does provide a class of service upgrade for YUP fares in the form of bonus mileage equivalent to the price paid for the ticket (their Fare Rewards program).

This bonus mileage is given regardless of whether you're in first class or coach... and it applies to all F, C, and full-fare Y classes. Therefore, unlike some other airlines, you will not be penalized if you pay full-fare but do not get an upgrade into first class.

So, depending upon the price of the ticket, the mileage bonus should be somewhere between an extra 100% up to significantly more.

The dollars you spend on full-fare TWA tickets can also raise your elite level faster, since FF level advancement can be measured by the accumulated values of fares in a one-year period of time. Spend $5,000 - you're Elite; Spend $10,000 - you're Elite 1; and Spend $20,000 - you're Platinum.

Also, there is a standard 50% class-of-service bonus for an F or C fare in TWA business or first class on top of the above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.