msn
Original Poster

Single, under 37, like to fly? Read on -

You can be an Air Marshall! Sounds like the basic FBI programme to me, though:

http://jobs.faa.gov/announcement_det...p?vac_id=59569
Old Sep 20, 2001, 8:50 am

Programs: AA
Yeah, the announcement says "we do not discriminate because of ...age..."

It goes on to list all the physical abilities and tests one must meet, and law enforcement background, etc.

It also says over 37 need not apply. Sounds like it won't be too hard for a terrorist to spot the newly-minted young air marshalls, or at least eliminate a lot of passengers.

[This message has been edited by BobMcD (edited 09-20-2001).]
Old Sep 20, 2001, 9:03 am
msn
Original Poster

Well, you CAN be over 37, as long as you already have some status as a law enforcement official, Federally, I think.

The law is that you cannot get this status (for the first time) after the age of 37, but it is still worth looking at for those who have "interesting backgrounds".
Old Sep 20, 2001, 10:34 am
alp

Yeah, but do you get FF miles?
Old Sep 20, 2001, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Sounds like a good job at first, get paid to travel. I would find it difficult to have to stay awake and alert in coach. And after an 8 hour flight, I wonder how effective a marshall would be while his arch rival terrorist napped? I would apply if I could do it part time and get to bypass the long lines at security. ;o)

Announcement also reminds me of a government ad that said:
"Government employer looking for candidates. Criminal background required."

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Sep 20, 2001, 1:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by msn:
The law is that you cannot get this status (for the first time) after the age of 37</font>
Really? I would have thought the USA might have had some anti-discrimination laws by now.

As populations in many countries are aging, unemployment is increasing and pensions are under increasing pressure, making such age discrimination economically undesirable, where once it was only morally undesirable.

(Many politicians don't care about doing what's right, except when it happens to intersect with financial responsibility, so maybe there is hope for change here?)
Old Sep 21, 2001, 5:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
The US government has exempted itself from liability on US discrimination laws.

The first sign that something has gone horribly wrong.
Old Sep 21, 2001, 5:30 am

It has nothing to do with age discrimination. The mandatory retirement age for federal law enforcement officers is 57. You have to be given the opportunity to earn a 20 year retirement, hence the age 37 rule. It is the same for all federal agencies, FBI, DEA, USSS etc.
Old Sep 21, 2001, 6:13 am
msn
Original Poster

Right - as it states, you can qualify for 20 and 25 year retirement plans - and if you are already in a qualifying position (even over the age of 37) you can move over, subject to all the other provisions being met.

What I wonder is what will other countries do along this line, thinking of Canada, Great Britain and Germany, since quite a bit of the traffic comes from Canada, and Heathrow and Frankfurt being the largest European hubs.

And the question still remains - should the Air Marshall service really be under the FAA, or is it better with (anyone else?) like say, the Coast Guard?

(spelling corrected)

[This message has been edited by msn (edited 09-21-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.