Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 747-400

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 1999, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
New 747-400

A couple of days ago I had the pleasure of flying in J on NZ's brand new 747-400. I think this is part of the replacement of the old 747-200s.

Basically not a huge update but some nice features.

Overall;
- only major change apart from everything being new was that the bathrooms are neater and slightly better designed
- but they do not have the taps on the door of the lower deck J lavatories which means you cannot replenish you water youself as easily.
- now has the nose camera which they put on for take off and landing which is keeps you interested.

Y class
- no major changes as they already have wings and footrests on the slimline seats.
- importantly pitch is still the same generous amount.

J class
- new video screen, more channels, a video game and a telephone
- other than that same design of seat.

F class
- fully reclining seats in a shell. No other changes so it is not like the QF or SQ suites but an improvement.

Overall the layout is the same so I am not sure how you would organise to ge on the new plane, except by luck or a very savvy agent.

As this is not part of a full fleet overall (ala QF) it probably makes sense that they did not go to a whole new level and have UA's problem with inconsistent planes, as at least you know around about what the facilities will be.

As for flight details it was NZ's usual high service with as usual exceptional wines and icecream.

Mark
Old Nov 30, 1999, 10:49 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
Just returned today on NZ2. Purser (now called the Flight Director, I think) said this one plane with the view in the nose is leased from Philipines Airlines. I came in on one of the older 747-400s, and they are still spotless with excellent service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.