UPGRADE Letter to SE

Old May 4, 2003, 8:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
UPGRADE Letter to SE

OK did anyone get a letter giving them SE for this year AND next year for 62K?
Old May 4, 2003, 8:45 am
At Large

No, but i'm at 63K already bring it on.
Old May 4, 2003, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
OK did anyone get a letter giving them SE for this year AND next year for 62K?</font>
Hope those already SE are happy to have 62K Elites joining you for upgrade competition.
Old May 4, 2003, 11:30 am

Maybe RD would like to comment on why he has decided to devalue the program even further...?.

Why not offer Double status miles...that way its open to all and the SE's who will do it the hard way will at least get some small reward.?

RD, you said you read the forum, why not particapate, we promise to be nice
Old May 4, 2003, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wondered about that very point. How do those who achieved SE the hard way feel about these iniatives?
Old May 4, 2003, 11:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I don't have a problem with the incentives. It's good business IMHO.

I'll fly 100k just for the threshold bonuses as long as AC continues to treat me well. If you qualify for SE at 92 K, it seems strange not to add another 48k to your miles by flying the full 100k qualifying miles.

Other than that hiccup at the beginning of last year, I have been happy service and SE benefits (sure I would love to have any fare upgrades at airport but that looks out of the picture for a while anyway).

I fly AC because of service and schedules--the SE program ensure my loyalty.

Of course a long-time member bonus or a returning SE member bonus of 10k status miles in the account at the beginning of the year would always be welcome !

------------------

BlondeBomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2003
BlondeBomber's Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels
BlondeBomber's Starwood Hotel Levels
Old May 4, 2003, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

United has a great upgrade program on to give people free Q miles maybe AC is just learnignhow to get more of us to fly.

Earlier on FT some people had said they got a letter offering 62K SE if they did the miles by Aug. The deal was they were SE for THIS year and NEXT year..... Trying to find out if this was/is true.
Old May 4, 2003, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
I have been an Elite member for many years, last year flying about 75,000 miles. It looks like I'll easily do this again this year but yet I won't attain SE status even though I'm flying more than the people targetted by AC for the promotion (and often on full fare Y or J tickets). I would love to achieve SE for only 62,000 miles. This whole thing ticks me off, but maybe I'm in the minority.
Old May 4, 2003, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAman:
I have been an Elite member for many years, last year flying about 75,000 miles. It looks like I'll easily do this again this year but yet I won't attain SE status even though I'm flying more than the people targetted by AC for the promotion (and often on full fare Y or J tickets). I would love to achieve SE for only 62,000 miles. This whole thing ticks me off, but maybe I'm in the minority.</font>
I suspect that AC may not appreciate the collateral damage some of this may cause - they don't always think things though the best (forgetting that others do find out to some degree). I agree that a bonus Q miles offer open to all would be much more sensible...not that I care as I will be a Basic member next year
Old May 4, 2003, 2:10 pm
At Large

I went through this two years ago and got really PO'd with AC but they did nothing for me even after being SE for several years prior.I ended up with 78K that year and didn't get any targetted promotion;so you either quit flying them now for the rest of the year once you reach E and place your business somewhere else, like LH or UA.
Old May 4, 2003, 3:08 pm

Earlier on FT some people had said they got a letter offering 62K SE if they did the miles by Aug. The deal was they were SE for THIS year and NEXT year..... Trying to find out if this was/is true.[/B][/QUOTE]

I received one of these offers. Fly 62K by 08/31 and achieve SE for the remainder of 2003. Fly 90K by 12/31 and receive SE for 2004.

Old May 4, 2003, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airbus320:
I wondered about that very point. How do those who achieved SE the hard way feel about these iniatives?</font>
I don't like it. I have no problem them making the offer to everyone. But I feel penalized for my loyalty - not rewarded - relative to those who received the offer.

It's bad business in my opinion - not good.
Old May 4, 2003, 3:55 pm

these targetted promotions run into the problem of infomration leakage. If ONLY the targetted people knew about the promotions, they would work very well, but as readers of this forum (and the Media and AC staffers) know, you can't keep a secret long when forums like FT exist.
In fact, FT has been the 'bane' of the Aeroplan program (and overall traditional airline practices). Folks here have worked out solutions to many problems and shared them; following patterns not 'authorized' by the airline (but quite within its rules).
Eventually, (hopefully sooner rather than later) we will be in a brave new world where fares are rational and reasonable, and the price of J reflects the true extra cost of service, not a bribery for airlines to induce the spending of Other People's Money.
I'm watching right now Delta being blown out of the water in ATL with folks like Air Trans and now Jet Blue -- $99 one way fares to LAX, (no restrictions) in Y, and $269 one way ATL-IAD in J with AirTrans (no restrictions).
Of course, AC's YOW-ATL fare is $2300, though Coca Cola apparently has a deal where employees can fly YYZ-ATL for $900 or so CDN.
And when we are in that brave new world, we'll hopefully get back to the simple principals of the old FF programs. Buy a few trips, and get one free. Then my CIBC Aerogold will be retired for a low-cost CC, and I will stop playing games with the airline. But I will NEVER pay $2300 to fly in a regional jet for a short haul flight. And most rational business owners and decision makers won't if they have the choice.
Old May 4, 2003, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parnel:
I went through this two years ago and got really PO'd with AC but they did nothing for me even after being SE for several years prior.I ended up with 78K that year and didn't get any targetted promotion;so you either quit flying them now for the rest of the year once you reach E and place your business somewhere else, like LH or UA. </font>
well you and i should both be flying with Uniteds program look at this offer for Q miles I like you get 70K a year and Elite is all i get! Wish i had put my points to United this year!
IP: Logged

ozstamps

From: Sydney OZ. KLM Platinum. UA 1K. SPG & HH Gold. From seat 15B on a 747 near you!
posted 05-02-2003 03:02 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by channa:
Actually, if you route it better, you can get away with full 2P status on just the one trip:

LAX-SFO-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO-LAX
16,824 base miles
9,000 bonus miles for competitor statement faxing

25,824 total miles

Depending on whether you qualify via the great offer, 12,000 additional bonus miles (6 segments x 2,000 miles) that qualify for status. So, you could walk away from this with 37,824 status miles.

I am doing some math here.

Who qualifies for the 12,000 miles per trip you outline? I have lost the plot reading that long thread? Can you earn that multiple times? They are DEFINITELY status miles?

If you CAN ...... do this math

3 x 12,000 = 36,000

3 x statmenmt bonus = 9,000

3 x 16,824 flown = 50,472

Total = 95,472 STATUS miles?

Am I missing something here? i.e. would 3 x $738 fares ($2214) = tax give you darn near 1K status?! AND 3 visits to the the best country in the world ... needless to say.

Depends on those 3 lots of 12,000 and I really am unclear who the heck qualifies or those. Be interested in other's thoughts on this.

this is using the flight LAX to SYD

Old May 4, 2003, 8:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Eventually, (hopefully sooner rather than later) we will be in a brave new world where fares are rational and reasonable, and the price of J reflects the true extra cost of service, not a bribery for airlines to induce the spending of Other People's Money.
I'm watching right now Delta being blown out of the water in ATL with folks like Air Trans and now Jet Blue -- $99 one way fares to LAX, (no restrictions) in Y, and $269 one way ATL-IAD in J with AirTrans (no restrictions).
B]</font>
Traditionally full J and Y have subsidised other leisure travellers. And leisure travellers have subsidised the frequency that full J and Y passengers want. This is why in the past 10% of passengers have brought in 50% of the revenue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.