Wiki Posts
Search

Telephones in club rooms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 1999, 6:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Telephones in club rooms

I have never used an airline club room, but because I'm traveling more and more I may start.

I'm concerned about telephones, since one of the uses I would make of such a lounge is catching up on calls.

Are the phones in the airline club lounges generally more or less expensive than the pay phones in the terminal, or are they the same cost? Do any clubs have Internet/email access?

Any thoughts or strategies on phone usage from the experienced lounge travelers? Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 1999, 6:52 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
Generally, the phones in lounges accept calling/credit cards only (by swiping). Most have data jacks for hooking up notebooks.

I use an IDT calling card for all my calls from lounges. Much better rates than my home MCI calling card.

Many Air Canada Maple Leaf lounges have business center with free computers, web access and Eudora email access. Very convenient although quite coveted by business travellers and during peak periods it is quite difficult to find an unused PC.
Old Apr 5, 1999, 10:48 pm
Original Member

to the best of my knowledge most lounges offer free local calls and analogue phone jacks, so if you have a national ISP you're set in terms of Internet access. also, there are many phones, one or two per table.. beats getting crammed in with your laptop at an awkward angle on a payphone, assuming you can find a phone jack.

it is almost always cheaper to use a calling card than to pay LD rates.. you may save the $.35 payphone charge dialing your calling card from inside a lounge.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Most lounges do not offer free local calls. In fact most *countries* don't offer free local calls. Perhaps some lounges in the U.S. do, but I can't recall any.

But lounges in most (not all) countries offer free access to AT&T and other carriers.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 3:28 am

Red Carpet Clubs in the US (at least all I've been in) offer free local calls and free "1-800" or "1-888" calls.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 3:55 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Ditto. CO Presidents clubs I've been in offer free local calls, and ATT card reading phones for all else.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 7:02 am
Original Member

American offers free local calls in its lounges along with plenty of phones that accept 800, 888 and 877 numbers.

Some business centers are small than others as are some clubs. I have been in the LGA, JFK, ORD, DFW (C & B concorse), LON Arrivals, SJC, and PHX clubs. LGA, JFK, ORD and DFW all had computers with internet access -- some had a T-1 line while others were dialup. All had free local calls (expcet maybe LON as I did not check)

--Jim
Old Apr 6, 1999, 7:13 am

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
The Admirals Club at LHR does provide free local calls.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 7:32 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
All of the Delta Crown Room Clubs I've been in have two types of phones:

* regular non-pay phones for free local calling

* pay phones where you can swipe your credit card for long distance calls.

So, for local calls, it's free (which will be cheaper than the pay phones in the terminal) and for long distance calls it should be the same price (whatever it costs to use your calling card).
Old Apr 6, 1999, 7:32 am

All the USAir, Continental, and American clubs I've visited in the U.S. have phones with no surcharge for calling card calls. Some AA clubs offer free local calls.

At some airports, I go to the club to primarily to make my calls because it's hard to find an open phone in the terminal but there are plenty of phones in the club.
USAir's Pittsburgh & Phili clubs, for example, have phones by every chair plus several cordless phones to use for card calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.