Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25K: THREE CITY FF AWARD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2003, 3:41 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
25K: THREE CITY FF AWARD

For the last three years, American has let us use 25K miles for a FF Award to fly three segments:

Orlando-Chicago (3 day layover)

Chicago-Las Vegas

Las Vegas-Orlando

Other airlines (Delta, United, US Airways)in the past have said it would take 50K for this trip.

Does anybody know of any other major FF program that allows this for 25K?

Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Delta still does.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:59 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
In the past I know the US would let you add an extra stay at a hub. A routing such as CRW-PIT-SFO-PIT-CRW with an extra long layover at PIT either way is an example.

You cannot book these online, you have to call reservations and request such a reservation.

------------------
A "Mileage Run"... is that what they're called? I've been doing them for years and didn't know they had a name.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 3:27 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
If you book on Continental or Northwest using Delta FF miles, you can also do this. This is called a "triangle" type fare. Delta also allows you to basically book two one way tickets using a frequent flyer award for the same 25 K.

Good luck and happy travels!
Old Dec 31, 2003, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RunawayNFly:
If you book on Continental or Northwest using Delta FF miles, you can also do this. This is called a "triangle" type fare. Delta also allows you to basically book two one way tickets using a frequent flyer award for the same 25 K.

Good luck and happy travels!
</font>
This hasn't been my experience with DL/NW. I regularly use DL and NW awards for open jaws (e.g. SNA-DCA-&lt;open&gt;-JAX-SNA), but have never been able to get them to pick up the missing leg. The same goes for UA and US.

I agree that AA is the leader of the pack in this regard (one reason AA miles are more valuable than the rest of the pack). Just two weeks ago, I redeemded the following itinerary for a friend who's currently in transit:

LAX-MIA-DCA-JFK-LAX

(with stops in MIA, DCA, and JFK)

I had to blow 45K miles because Y was sold out on several of his dates, but he did get to ride in J on a 777 and will also get a taste of a premium transcon on the return to LAX.

I, myself, am currently on an AS award which allowed me to stop over in SEA en route SNA-SEA-DCA, which I felt was a pretty good deal for 20K miles. Unfortunately, AS wouldn't let me return from MIA though because their policy is one stopover OR one open jaw. TMK, AA is the only one of the majors that allows both a stopover and an open jaw; moreover, the stopover needn't take place at an AA hub (i.e. lax-bos-mia-msy-lax is totally cool).

Please correct me if I'm wrong about DL/NW; that would help me a lot next year.

[This message has been edited by moondog (edited Dec 31, 2003).]
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Even on AA, I think you can only do the 3-way trip within a legal round-trip routing. AA allows both a stopover and an open jaw in some cases, which can be quite valuable. (ex., MCI-DFW-SJC-OGG-(open)-KOA-LAX-ORD-(stopover)-MCI as one 35k award)

I don't know if that SNA-DCA-JAX-SNA three-way would work on any airline.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:

I don't know if that SNA-DCA-JAX-SNA three-way would work on any airline.
</font>
You can book it as SNA-JAX with a stop in DCA. It works best if the carrier in question has nonstop (or at least direct) service from the stopover point to the destination. I've never done this particular routing with AA (which probably exceeds the MPM for SNA-JAX), but the technique works great with MIA, MCO, and FLL.

Old Dec 31, 2003, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I think the allowability of this is governed by the stopover rules for the award, as that's what you're essentially doing. I've always been a big fan of stopovers, on the "Why see just one place when you can see two?" theory.

On Delta it depends on whether the intermediate city (CHI in this case) is on the "routing." It used to be you could check which places were by going into the "valid connecting cities" sub-screen on easySABRE. That was a very valuable tool.

Delta tends to allow a lot of places on trans-con trips and not just their hub cities (making it very unusual in that regard), but CHI may be considered too much of a diversion for MCO-LAS. On AA you could likely do it because CHI was a hub (i.e. there was a dog-leg but they didn't have to force a connection in a non-hub city).

On DL I've gotten them to force a connection in a non-hub city so that I can take a stopover before (e.g. MCI on an ATL-LAS trip). Very important to do your homework and propose something specific in cases like that, though. Most airlines allow stopovers in a very miserly way (and usually not at all domestically), and I'd hate to see DL become like CO and NW in that regard.

[This message has been edited by RustyC (edited Dec 31, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.