Community
Wiki Posts
Search

credit for flyimg Olympic airways

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

credit for flyimg Olympic airways

Does Olympic airways have any partners? Where can I accrue miles for flying on Olympic Airways?
Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2003, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Nope!

OA-050 OLYMPIC AIRLINES
ACCEPTS FF ACCOUNT NUMBERS IN THE PROGRAMS LISTED
OA*

------------------
sftrvlr
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:41 pm

Olympic Airways has experienced so much trouble lately that I would skip it. For intra-Greek flights, try Aegean Airlines.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:31 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by minatonka:
Olympic Airways has experienced so much trouble lately that I would skip it. For intra-Greek flights, try Aegean Airlines. </font>
what kinda trouble? economic or safety?
Old Dec 12, 2003, 8:21 pm

Financial and labor (and attitude).
Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:43 am

I flew them in C from SYD-BKK a few years back. This would have to be one of the worst airlines still flying. Both the outbound and return flights were delayed by over an hour each; the inflight service was apalling; the crew seemed indifferent to safety; the food was unapealing.

I was not surprised to hear they pulled out of the Australian market. There are many airlines flying the same route for the about same price but with much better service.

Avoid them at all costs!

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)
Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Never flown with them myself but the CEO's greeting on their website ends "Thank you for preferring to fly on the wings of OA", which sounds a bit worrying to me.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 8:49 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
I doubt it will make much of a difference, but Olympic Airways has just been reorganized into a smaller carrier: Olympic Airlines.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:31 am

They have a bad reputation. Also tight seating on NYC to Athens flights, according to a friend who just flew them. U can only get miles on their program.

I flew them as a kid 40 years ago on a Comet 4 from Paris to London. Plane came from Athens. I still can remember the crew "yelling" at passengers who had gotten up before the plane had stopped. Also 30 years ago from New York to Paris. In those days it was an empty 707 which continued to Athens. Food was excellent but those were different days. Also NYC to Athens 25 years ago was quite pleasant but their crews were a pretty rough lot.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:21 pm
Ken

Programs: Delta Silver
We flew Olympic from Athens to Santorini this past summer. Sitting in the terminal, looking at some of their planes' livery straight out the sixties, somehow reminded me of an old James Bond movie.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:30 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
I flew Turkish a couple months ago in and out of Athens and Istanbul. It was great and got AA miles. I would recommend it. I also flew Air France in and out of Athens, better than Delta but nowhere close to Turkish.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 2:20 pm

Programs: TK*G EP
Thank you, sw!

I also think that Turkish Airlines is the most underrated airline.

Quality of the food (out of IST) is very good even in the economy and every crew is always nice and cheerful. In the last year, I flew more than 16 short(ATH, BUH, ZAG, AMS, VIE, TXL, CDG, ZRH) and long (BKK, JFK) haul only this year. I can definetly say that TK is really better than OA, AZ, LX, AF and DL.

But of course OA is the worst if I could manage to forget the most incompetent stewardess who had successfully dropped one full glass of coke on to skirt in the business class where I was the one of the only two passengers in that cabin.

Old Dec 20, 2003, 5:53 pm

My experience with Olympic last fall on several flights to/from Athens and the islands was HORRIBLE. Rude customer service, spending 45 minutes waiting for a bus to bus you 100 yards to the plane, poor ventilation, several very rough landings (made you wonder who was in the cockpit -- I looked when I got out and the pilots did not look too healthy ), mysterious groaning sounds, and the planes looked so dated we took pictures of them on the runway. Reminded me a bit of Aeroflot in the Soviet era, except it was worse.

If there's any alternative (even without FF miles -- can't believe I said that! ) I'd avoid them until they get in shape.

One funny anecdote: I got on an Olympic flight from Athens early once (seated way in the back) and due to all the delays at the gate with no clean restroom nearby I headed to the back to urgently use the lav prior to take-off (we had 25 minutes to take-off, and I wasn't blocking anyone's boarding). The FA blocked my way, explaining that if I flushed before take-off, the contents would flow on to the runway! She advised me to wait until take-off (so presumably the contents could be emptied out in the air over Athens)

[This message has been edited by ermdjdsj (edited Dec 20, 2003).]
Old Dec 20, 2003, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ermdjdsj:
(made you wonder who was in the cockpit -- </font>
Well the last time I flew OA it was me in the cockpit - got invited to sit in the jump seat by the Captain as we flew from ATH to RHO. magic happens on the Flight Deck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We always pay the extra $20 for C instead of Y on our outbound to the islands so that we can use the lounges. No point in paying for C on the inbound as there are no OA lounges in the islands.

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited Dec 21, 2003).]
Old Dec 21, 2003, 9:41 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Well, this airline has had its share of problems for years now due to incompetent management. But it has come a long way in the last few years, still lots of room to improve. Flying them now is okay when it used to be a torture years ago due to bad service. I flew them less than two years ago and I was very pleased...heck, I was very surprised by the change in attitude and overall service. Lots of money has been spent on upgrading the service aspect of such high profile jobs in preparation of the Olympics.
Another thing most people don't know. When you hear of bad things about OA it's usually about service. One aspect of their record is Safety and this airline has had an outstanding record! Their pilots come from the Greek Air Force and have LOTS of training chasing Turkish aircraft violating the Greek air space, they are very good...Not sure about this, and kind of hard to believe, but I used to hear that they have not had a single crash in their history!

So, give them a chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.