Wiki Posts
Search

Miles, please.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2001, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Miles, please.

In my pursuit of miles, I have been disappointed to find that my local utilities (TXU gas and electric) will no longer accept credit cards. They will only accept debit cards or checks starting 2002. Is there any way to make miles still?
Old Dec 16, 2001, 7:45 am

Chase,

There is a CO Chase Manhatten debit card that gives 0.5miles per dollar..
Old Dec 16, 2001, 8:24 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Bank of America and USAirways have a joint debit card. I belive the fee is 30.00

TW
Old Dec 16, 2001, 12:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChaseTheMiles:
my local utilities (TXU gas and electric) will no longer accept credit cards. </font>
At least your utilities did accept credit cards in the past. None of my utilities accept credit or debit cards, only checks and ACH payments from bank acounts.

Old Dec 16, 2001, 1:53 pm

GET THIS!
My credit union (Aizona Federal) is now accepting Visa/MC for loan payments! I have two car loans currently and will now be using them for my mortgage. I really can't believe this. Finally, I will be able to earn miles on my biggest monthly expenses.

http://www.azfcu.org/payments.htm
Old Dec 16, 2001, 2:14 pm

Programs: All over the place now.
That's great pointman! I have wondered how to pay my rent on my credit card.

USAA bank also offers a .5% cash back on debit card purchases.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 3:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stef315:
</font>
I've been wondering if you can buy money orders with a debit card. Then I could buy a money order with a mileage earning debit card to pay my rent.

[This message has been edited by FlyByMike (edited 12-16-2001).]
Old Dec 16, 2001, 3:26 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChaseTheMiles:
In my pursuit of miles, I have been disappointed to find that my local utilities (TXU gas and electric) will no longer accept credit cards. They will only accept debit cards or checks starting 2002. Is there any way to make miles still? </font>
Like you, I tried to get TXU Gas to charge to my credit card for gas but they wouldn't take it. However Austin Power *do* charge to credit card. I also tried to see if my mortgage company would charge to my credit card automatically too, but came up with "No" answer. Oh well.... Ditto for SW Bell.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 7:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyByMike:
I've been wondering if you can buy money orders with a debit card. Then I could buy a money order with a mileage earning debit card to pay my rent.</font>
No, you cannot buy money orders with a debit card.. If only..

Old Dec 16, 2001, 8:20 pm
DH

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stef315:

USAA bank also offers a .5% cash back on debit card purchases.
</font>
Be careful, with mentioned Visa/Master check card/debit card, you have to choose credit card option instead of debit card option which requires PIN. Otherwise, the purchase is not qualified for the reward...

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Dec 17, 2001, 6:46 am

In my pursuit of miles, I have been disappointed to find that my local utilities (TXU gas and electric) will no longer accept credit cards. They will only accept debit cards or checks starting 2002. Is there any way to make miles still? </font>

Most large credit card companies will give you "convenience checks" that will draw off your credit card. Just be sure that, if these are counted as cash advances, that you will get miles for them and be sure to pay them off immediately.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 7:04 am
DH

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ManyMiles:

Most large credit card companies will give you "convenience checks" that will draw off your credit card. Just be sure that, if these are counted as cash advances, that you will get miles for them and be sure to pay them off immediately.
</font>
Except for the specially marked promos, usually those "convenience checks" do not qualifies for any reward (at least with Citi AAdvantage card).

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Dec 17, 2001, 9:40 am

Checks always post as cash advances and as such do not accrue reward points or rebates. I am not aware of any exceptions....
Old Dec 17, 2001, 10:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pointman:
Checks always post as cash advances and as such do not accrue reward points or rebates. I am not aware of any exceptions....</font>
That was my experience as well.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to all the suggestions and comments so far.

I just found out too that I can charge my property taxes to the credit cards. There is a 3% fee, however. What do y'all think? Is it worth it for the miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.