Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bin Laden vows "Storm of Airplanes"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2001, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Bin Laden vows "Storm of Airplanes"

Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda organization pledged defiantly yesterday that a "storm of airplanes" will continue to attack American targets until the United States ends its "crusade" against Afghanistan and Islam.

In a menacing video message addressed to the entire Islamic world, al Qaeda spokesman Sulaiman Abu Ghaith called on Muslims in more than 50 nations to "uphold their religion" by attacking U.S. interests worldwide.

"The Americans must know that the storm of airplanes will not stop, and there are thousands of young people who look forward to death, like the Americans look forward to living," he said in the taped message aired on Al- Jazeera, the Arab world's version of CNN, broadcast from Qatar.

"America must know that the battle will not leave its land until America leaves our land, until it stops supporting Israel, until it stops the blockage against Iraq," Abu Ghaith said.

It was the second video released by al Qaeda since Sunday, when the United States began its military offensive against terrorism, dubbed Operation Enduring Freedom.

Abu Ghaith warned that the new war against the United States will make targets of all American facilities and personnel. He said that Americans "must know" that the Islamic world will not allow its brethren to come under attack.

"The jihad today is a duty of every Muslim. . . . God says fight. . . . The American interests are everywhere, all over the world. Every Muslim has to play his real and true role to uphold his religion. And fighting and jihad are a duty," he said.

The al Qaeda spokesman, an unknown figure until his appearance at bin Laden's side Sunday, praised the men who bombed the World Trade Center and the Pentagon for doing "a good deed" by moving the battle onto U.S. soil.

For all the bravado, Abu Ghaith's message to the Muslim world also hinted at angry desperation. The proclamation, which came after three days of air assaults on Afghanistan by U.S. and British warplanes, complained about having to live "under this bombardment."

His remarks came amid reports that the air and missile strikes are beginning to flush terrorists and al Qaeda-linked Taliban military units out of their hiding places.

Neither the White House nor the State Department had any immediate comment on the latest al Qaeda statement. Indeed, Secretary of State Colin Powell did not see the first bin Laden statement Sunday, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said yesterday.

But some U.S. analysts predicted that the new threat could eventually backfire on the notorious extremist movement, first by reinforcing the resolve of the international coalition confronting al Qaeda and then by showing the group's inability to follow through on its threats.

Given the group's limited ability to counter U.S. bombs, al Qaeda's propaganda is merely psychological warfare, analysts said.

"They're trying to unsettle the American public as well as the Western world. Even if they don't have the capability, because they've demonstrated they've done it once, they want to make Americans think they can do it again and that Americans will always be vulnerable. But it's not going to work," said Henri Barkey, a former member of the State Department policy planning staff who worked on Mideast terrorism issues and now heads Lehigh University's International Relations Department.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the only "good" side to OBL's remarks are that his guilt has been proven beyond any doubt. Wasn't it the Taliban that said OBL couln't possibly have carried out these attacks? Now it's the same Taliban that say OBL is free to fight and defend himself...
Old Oct 11, 2001, 6:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Well, the only "good" side to OBL's remarks are that his guilt has been proven beyond any doubt. Wasn't it the Taliban that said OBL couln't possibly have carried out these attacks? Now it's the same Taliban that say OBL is free to fight and defend himself...</font>

And he possibly left the country. And he had no means of communication. And they didn't know where he was. And ...

Old Oct 11, 2001, 6:33 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
This guy is playing "head games". Just watching his garbage (a) makes me want to fly even more, and (b)further upsets me about the major news outlets in this country, who, in their zeal to scoop each other, play right into this guy's hands by airing that junk, and scaring the public out of their wits. The terrorists were succesful because they had a good understanding of how to take advantage of an open society. and it appears that facility extends to also figuring out these nitwits in the news business. Note to Bin Laden: the next planeload of people won't be so docile if you try that again.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 6:49 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Well, those afraid to fly won't fly, and those who do are more likely to have the guts to stop a hijacking!
I am looking forward to my next trip (NYC) and I certainly do not intend to have it ruined by this sick terrorist propaganda. I'll try to enjoy...
Old Oct 11, 2001, 7:08 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/002747.html
Old Oct 11, 2001, 7:31 am

I teach high school history and government in a public school that is slightly below middle class. My students are having a very hard time with this. Some are literally sick with terror. One asked 'why don't bad people get sick and die?'

Many of my students are already 18, a few 19. Up until 9/11, they considered joining the military as a way to help to pay for college. (they watched the tv ads). Some haven't changed their plans about enlisting. Some.

The young people don't understand that we will win in the long run. They have grown up in a period of peace. At the end of each school year I make a mad dash through US History to try to get past WWII & the Korean War to spend a bit of time on the Vietnam War. We don't have enough teaching time to do that! In the spring, students' minds drift away to other things. Our department heads set our teaching schedules and basically what material is covered in each teaching period. We are graduating students who know very little about US HIstory.

Many of our students have no confidence in our ability to win this war because they know very little about our past. About the courage of the British during WWII.

[This message has been edited by texana (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old Oct 11, 2001, 7:39 am

Remember when Saddam promised the "mother of all battles"? All these guys are good for is talk talk talk and throwing sucker punches. Osama and the rest will be eradicated, it is but a matter of time.

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------
Old Oct 11, 2001, 7:41 am
Original Member

Heard about a "Storm of Airplanes" over Kabul and Khandahar.

Djlawman
Old Oct 11, 2001, 8:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I fly tomorrow for the first time since 9/11. I am sitting in 1B. If ANYONE makes a move to the cockpit door, they are going over my 280 pound
bench pressing, 630 pound leg pressing, 27 year-old, self-defense-trained, 6'2, 245 pound dead body.

I'm sure everyone else feels the same way. I don't think we'll see another commerical plane steered into a building. No way the passengers will allow it. Planes may be hijacked, and may crash, but they won't be used as guided missles any more.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 11:16 am

FYI, the spokesman was a Kuwaiti citizen. Kuwait pulled his citizenship after the tape aired.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 11:17 am

I am similar in size to 'BoSoxFan45'. Perhaps a little heavier, however older. Once when I had a totally out of control, dangerous student, I 'accidently' fell on him. In a life=threatening situation, I could do more than that.

Yes, friends, teaching school is more dangerous than flying. I have mentioned before that I carry an old leather briefcase that I keep full of heavy books. I have used it as a block, wedge and crowd breaker in school. In school! It weighs more than 40 pounds. The edges are squared off so they hurt!

What could you do with such?
Old Oct 11, 2001, 11:37 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 767-322ETOPS:
Remember when Saddam promised the "mother of all battles"? All these guys are good for is talk talk talk and throwing sucker punches.
</font>
...and don't forget Col. Kadaffy's dreaded "Line of Death" along the Libyan Coast.

Somehow Navy F-14's and F-18's crossed the "Line of Death" with impunity. And we haven't heard too much from Kadaffy (misspelling intentional) lately.

I'm also flying tomorrow, out of Newark, and up front in CO's BusinessFirst. No monkey business allowed on my watch either.

Old Oct 11, 2001, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We should get paid for flying, and I am not talking miles here. With the services you folks are offering who needs marshalls?
Old Oct 11, 2001, 11:52 am

Granted I am anxious about flying again, You guys make me reassured nothing else is going to happen with out a good fight. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.