Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AIRTRAN? Does anyone fly them??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 1998, 9:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
AIRTRAN? Does anyone fly them??

having used this forum for many months, i have not seen any replies from flyers who use airtran airways. this former valujet is apparently alive and well, and has managed to keep an order for 50 new md 95 jets (boeing 717) jets. Now, crashes aside, i feel that new planes are a good reason to try them. they do fly out of l.a guardia and do offer competitive prices. does anyone have any comments on them???

Old Oct 5, 1998, 6:36 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I personally have not flown Airtrans/Valujet (although I DO enjoy the fact that UAL has to match their fare on their routes out of IAD!!!) but my assistant has flown them quite a bit. Her boyfriend is pursuing an MBA in the Boston area, so she flies up on Airtrans 2 or 3 times a month. She has raved about the prices, but never the service.

Her main complaints: 1) Too few CS agents leads to long lines. 2) VERY poor cancellation/delay management. 3) Inflexability with tix exchange/flight change rules. 4)"Unprofessional feel" of the airline.

Of course, these are all subjective opinions based on one person's experience on one route.

Of course, I would LOVE to see Airtrans succed and even grow their routes. When Valujet was temporarily grounded, prices from IAD to Atlanta (midweek) went from $180 to $950 on UAL. With Airtrans down the concourse, they are back to $180...
Old Oct 5, 1998, 7:12 am
Original Member

My wife and I have used AirTran several times in the past year, and I basically agree with Matt Wald on their tendency to have long lines at times. We haven't flown them enough to have any experience with their cancellation/rebooking procedures.

I would say they are a second-tier airline. Nothing wrong with that at the prices they offer, just not the service level of the "majors." I don't intend this statement as a criticism.

What I DO like about AirTran over similar airlines like Southwest, is they give seat assignments and manage the boarding process so you don't have to take your life in your hands during the boarding stampede. And, having gotten on the plane, you don't find 60 people already there ahead of you with everything from baby strollers to shopping bags crammed in every inch of overhead space. Also, unlike Southwest, I've never seen AirTran try to check in two flights departing at different times for different destinations at the same gate.

From where I usually fly out of, AirTran usually has a seat or two left even a few minutes prior to departure. This has saved my bacon more than once when ASA ("My Delta Connection") has yet again cancelled a flight or announced such a long delay that there was no chance of making my connection in Atlanta. I have been able to get to my destination and do so without paying over $1000 for a (literally) last-minute ticket purchase. Something to think of if they fly where you need to go.

I've blathered on enough. I don't have any problems with this airline. I would fly AirTran a lot more if they only had a better frequent flyer program.
Old Oct 5, 1998, 4:30 pm
Original Member

AirTran offers good prices between Philadelphia and many places via Atlanta or Boston (especially New Orleans). However, I agree with henecheta that they need a FF alliance to make you choose them over a major carrier where the service is better for a similar price. By the way, I flew Southwest a lot and LUVED that airline when I lived in Texas for the past seven years (before moving to Philly last year). I never really felt the "stampede" on SW which shows how subjective these impressions are.

AirTran has a FF program of its own that is similar to Southwest's credit-based program (rather than mileage-based). Has anyone used it yet? Is first-class on AirTran worth the small difference in price? That might make it worth the switch.
Old Oct 11, 1998, 10:09 am
Original Member

Here in Tampa Delta is such a mobscene (even though they seem to fly an L-1011 or a 767 every 1 1/2 hours to Atlanta) that Airtran is a blessed relief. Those at my company who aren't platinum skymiles don't mind Airtran at all.
Old Oct 12, 1998, 3:04 pm
Commander Catcop

Does AirTran have a frequent Flyer Program or
are they linked to one of the big guys?

They have a following down south and if they
don't ahve a program they should get one.
CATMAN
Old Oct 12, 1998, 3:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
CM,

i don't fly airtran, but on the face of it, their ff program does look pretty inviting. they have the only program i know of where they invite you to fly on them, then take your free flight on a COMPETING airline.

here's the basics:

3 Roundtrips in Business Class
or
6 Roundtrips in Coach Class = FREE Roundtrip coach ticket on AirTran anywhere they fly

6 Roundtrips in Business Class
or
12 Roundtrips in Coach Class = FREE Roundtrip coach ticket anywhere in the U.S. where any major airline flies **(but cannot be on a competing route of airtran.) but that leaves some pretty good places like san francisco, las vegas, etc.
Old Oct 13, 1998, 8:17 am
Original Member

The last time I flew AirTran, a couple of months ago, their FF program was set to terminate at the end of this year, as I recall. At that time, no one had any word on whether or not it would be continued, replaced by a different program, or what. Like I said, though, this was a while ago, and I don't know what the current status is.

It's an innovative program and if they elect to continue it, I'll definitely book more flights with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.