Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you get in an airline overnight kit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2001, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First

I was just wondering if we could compare what airline's give you in their overnight kits.

Here's what you'll find in an overnight kit from Delta:
A Vanity Set including:
2 Q-Tips, Needle/Thread/Button, a nail file, and a small band-aid
Dry Idea Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant
Rembrandt Dazzling Fresh Mouthwash
Rembrandt toothpaste/toothbrush
Woolite Fine Fabric Wash
Combo plastic brush/comb
Wilkinson Sword Shave Cream/razor
Essentiel Elements Lotion

Whew.......you guys don't have to go into as much detail as I did....I'd just like to get a general comparison from the major airlines.

Old Feb 10, 2001, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I've never had an overnight kit from anyone other than Delta, but I have been thinking of what would be the PERFECT overnight/onboard amenity kit (male version):

Toothbrush & Toothpaste
Razor & Shaving Cream
Deodorant
Phone Card
Brush
2 Extra Strength Tylenol
Dental Floss
Cheap After Shave
3 Condoms, Extra Large
2 Gold Krugerands
Nylon stockings
Chocolate Bar
Shampoo

Hope this was helpful. And I was just kidding about the shampoo.

[This message has been edited by opus17 (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old Feb 10, 2001, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
3 is enouhg??? just kidding...

well, for CX or BA F, decent quality pajama
for CX, a pair of slippers as well
Old Feb 10, 2001, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
3 Condoms, Extra Large
2 Gold Krugerands
Nylon stockings
Chocolate Bar
A silk square with writing translated into 20 languages saying "This person is a frequent flyer, and if he/she is returned safely to the airport, you will be rewarded handsomely with travel vouchers usable for flights within the 48 contiguous United States."

Old Feb 10, 2001, 11:59 am
GG

According to an Esquire magazine article on condoms that I read years ago, titled (?) The Goods, Extra Large is the smallest size of condom made...

Seriously,

Can't say we've ever been offered one of these emergency kits. When Delta diverted our plane to JFK, and abandoned us there at midnight, we were offered zip. "Come back at 6am and we'll see if we can find a flight for you. There's the floor to sleep on."

We were never offered anything by Continental, either, when they stranded us at SFO. Fortunately, Mr. Marriott came through in both cases (with some expensive help from Mr. Hertz at JFK).

Russ, I have to hope that if your question is asked for anything other than idle curiousity, it doesn't mean Delta wants to have a "competitive" overnight kit, meaning that if the other majors don't include an item, Delta won't either, even if it's cheap and useful and makes pax happy. Nothing you can do about it, but your management folks have been doing too much of that lately! I DO assume you have good motives, if only curiousity. Hope you don't mind some speculative feedback:

Dental Floss would be a good addition to any overnight kit, emergency or amenity.

Tylenol or Aspirin is also a good idea, for the emergency kit - I'd prefer the aspirin.

On the assumption that most folks who get these kits are going to a hotel, instead of duplicating things like sewing kit, bandaids, and lotion, how about some talcum powder, and maybe some hairspray or setting gel (ladies version)?

Finally, how about a couple of airline bottles of brandy? Strictly for medicinal purposes, of course!

[This message has been edited by GG (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old Feb 10, 2001, 12:24 pm

Originally posted by GG:

Finally, how about a couple of airline bottles of brandy? Strictly for medicinal purposes, of course!

That would be cool, but what about kids who fly premium and get such bags......
Old Feb 10, 2001, 12:48 pm
GG

CTANK, that was a joke! (A wistful joke, but a joke nonetheless.)

From reading Russ's list one can see that an overnight (emergency) kit is packed differently from an amenity kit. I don't think class of service enters into it. Correct me if I'm wrong, Russ - these kits are for pax stranded overnight?

(it's NOT spelled amentity, I just can't type!)

Old Feb 10, 2001, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
GG-
I was seriously just curious. I've never gotten a kit at another carrier, so I was just wondering if fellow FTers knew what other carriers offered.

I've always thought dental floss would be a good addition. And.....I wonder if there is some law forbidding airlines from being able to put aspirin in every overnight kit. What if a young person were to take the aspirin, or whatever, and something bad were to happen.

Anyway....I'm not doing this "survey" so that I can tell mgmt to pull the sewing kit out since other carriers don't include it in their overnight kits. I was simply curious.

This thread is pertaining to overnight kits, for those passengers "stranded" overnight away from home. Not the amenity kits handed out in first class.

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old Feb 10, 2001, 1:06 pm
GG

"I wonder if there is some law forbidding airlines from being able to put aspirin in every overnight kit?"

I was once told by a FA on TWA that they were forbidden to give out aspirin for liability reasons! DL FA's will give you Tylenol, at least.

What if a kid drinks the mouthwash and gets sick? or the Woolite? But liability lawyers don't think that way, I guess.

Now I'm curious too, about what other airlines might give out, but those who might know all seem to be Elsewhere today, so we'll have to be patient, I guess.

Old Feb 10, 2001, 1:40 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
Northwest: toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, comb.
Old Feb 10, 2001, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Just making sure we are all talking about the same thing. Is overnight kit the same as amenity kit? OR is the overnight kit what the airline offers if it loses your bag and provides you with toiletries?

[This message has been edited by zrs70 (edited 02-10-2001).]
Old Feb 10, 2001, 3:16 pm

As Russ mentioned, this is not discussion regarding amentity kits given to First and Business Class customers on longhaul flights. This is rather given by baggage services to anyone who loses their bag overnight. Obviously, it serves a rather different purpose!

I forget what is in United's, but I think Premier level flyers can ask at baggage services for one, even if their bag isn't lost!
Old Feb 10, 2001, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
I have been stranded by Delta several times and by Continental once. I was never offered any overnight amenity. Maybe I should have insisted.

Therefore, I always carry my own. I started with the first class amenity kit and added a few more essentials which keep me self sufficient.
Old Feb 10, 2001, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Canadian Airlines provided a nice compact, albeit pseudo-leather, bag holding:

Toothbrush and Colgate Toothpaste
Scope Mouthwash
Gillette Razor and Shave Cream
Right Guard Deodorant
Sewing Kit
Mirror/Nail File
Small Hairbrush with those rubber nobs on the end of the bristles
Pouch of Woolite
Hand/Body Lotion

Fortunately, on the evening I was getting ready to use it, my bag arrived at the airport hotel, having made it on the next flight out.
Old Feb 10, 2001, 4:29 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Actually, GG is not quite right above about not being offered an amenity kit after Delta left us at JFK at midnight.

When we finally got to the Stamford, CT, Marriott at 1:30 AM, the hotel desk clerk was pleased to offer us a small "luggageless passenger's" kit: toothbrushes, toothpaste, razor, a couple of other things.

And the bar was open till 2:00 AM. Sometimes it's the little things that count.

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.