Wiki Posts
Search

need Ireland advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2000, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: a little here, a little there
need Ireland advice

I'm going to Ireland for 1 1/2 weeks 6/23 - 7/5. Any ideas of what not to miss? Cities to stay in? Great restaurants? Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2000, 6:47 pm

Southern or Northern Ireland?
Old Jun 12, 2000, 6:51 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
which part of ireland?

we went to the southern part, loved it!
stayed at Ashford Castle, Dromoland Castle, Mount Juliet... (among others), very lovely and memorable! it was the irish charm, if nothing else, that makes us want to return next year....
Old Jun 12, 2000, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: a little here, a little there
For the first week, we'll be on the coast about 1 hour (40 miles) south of Dublin. Our return flight is also from Dublin, but we have 5 nights free to stray as far as we can.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 8:15 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
if i had but one choice to stay when i go back, i would go to Mount Juliet...
there is a river run through the fields behind the hotel, and horseback riding nearby... sooo beautiful... and the restaurant is mahvelous!
Old Jun 13, 2000, 12:52 am

I would definitely do Killarney at least Muckross Abbey and Muckross House. Also the Ring of Kerry. The Rock of Cashel is great and so is of course, Blarney Castle, which for some reason people keep saying I don't need to visit. There is a web site Ireland Information which is really great. This is my favorite place in the whole world and I go at least once a year. Erin Go Bragh!!!
Old Jun 13, 2000, 4:19 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Just returned from 5 years in Ireland. Have lots of good advice for you, but need to know if your wallet is loaded or you are on a budget. Will you have a car? Do you want to play golf? What are your hobbies? Any special things you want to do?
Old Jun 13, 2000, 5:32 am
Commander Catcop

These are a few trip reports from my visit to Dublin in March. Hope it helps.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/000755.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/000760.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/000762.html

And don't forget to visit my town, Blanchardtown outside Dublin and have a pint at the local pub.

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 06-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 06-13-2000).]
Old Jun 13, 2000, 6:53 am

Do not neglect to go to Northern Ireland if you have the chance. The tourist are all still in Southern Ireland. There are many areas there that are beautiful. You can play on the Devil's Causeway, Cross the suspension bridge at Carrick-A-Rede, hike in the beautiful forests, etc.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd echo what Lowfare is saying. Some of the most beautiful scenery in Ireland is to be found in the North. The Antrim coast, north of Larne all the way up to Ballycastle and further to the Giant's causeway as well as the Mourne Mountains in county Down are well worth visiting. IMHO, the city of Belfast does not have that much in terms of sights as such but it is a great place for restaurants, pubs and clubs.
One thing to bear in mind, though, is that July is the peak of the loyalist marching season. You would not be in Ireland for the Battle of the Boyne anniversary parades (July 10-12th). However,you'd definitely want to steer clear of Portadown/Drumcree on July 2nd-9th (but then again, which tourist would want to go to Portadown at any time of the year, in any event?). If you need info on when/where parades are planned, you can look at the Parades Commission site at http://www.paradescommission.org.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
If you are going to be south of Dublin, definately stop in Dalkey. It's about 20 mins on the Dart from Dublin on the Irish Sea. It is a quaint town which has become fairly fashionsble lately (lots of 'celebrities moving in)--but it still retains its charm.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Ireland is my favorite country. I'm envious.
A wonderful restaurant in Dublin named Number 20 is a must--fantastic food. I found that you can hardly go wrong from an eating perspective.

Old Jun 14, 2000, 9:44 am

I would recommend a very long weekend in Dublin. It's a beatiful time to go there and the weather is supposed to be superb.
I stayed on my last visit at the Brooks hotel which is located downtown with many sites in very short walking distance.
For a tour I would recommend Gallaway on the west side(it's 3 hours by train). and from there to the cliffs of moher - one the most beautiful sites I have ever seen!

enjoy
Old Jun 14, 2000, 9:49 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I stayed at Wynn's Hotel on Lower Abbey Street. It was reasonably pricced (less that $100/nt) and about a block from the river. It was about 2-3 block walk from the bus terminal that you will arrive at from the airport (The Busaurus). I recommend it.
Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:13 am
Anne at WebFlyer

I am from Ireland, lived in Dublin and studied in Galway. If you want to get away from it all go to the Aran Islands which lie off the west coast. Hopefully the weather will be good, but you can never count on it. You may even catch the Galway Arts Festival while you are there.
If you are in Dublin over a weekend, you could head up to Johnny Foxes on a Sunday afternoon. It is a pub come restaurant, usually with traditional music.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.