Wiki Posts
Search

Alliances

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 1998, 10:27 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Alliances

With all this talk about pending alliances, has anyone yet thought about how this will effect the partnerships of each program. For instance. I was reading that the proposed alliance between American and US Airways will allow members to combine miles for award redemption. Given that news, does this mean that I can redeem my American Express Membership Rewards points for Dividend Miles and then cash them in for an award on American, essentially making American part of the AmEx plan even though they aren't an official partner? Seems these types of benefits will be the hidden gems of alliances. Anyone got similar ideas?
Old May 13, 1998, 2:34 pm
Original Member

That would be an interesting way to move around your miles! Would there be a way to tell that was where your miles were coming from and you would be stopped from doing this?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:05 pm

It sems that this was the first thread ever on this site! Two posts with the last one 8 years ago! Wow! ^
Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
The American and US Airways merger had me scratching my head until I saw the date of the post. I guess we can all use a little history.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:33 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I vaguely remember that sort of "combining". I wish that sort of thing was still available.

With UA/US/HP or DL/CO/NW or AA/AS(?) in alliances, why not allow combining?

But you can use your NW miles for an award on DL! So why not allow part NW miles and part DL miles?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:19 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by yunakov
It sems that this was the first thread ever on this site! Two posts with the last one 8 years ago! Wow! ^
Good job yunakov bumping the thread!!

I too wish that I could combine my frequent flyer account ballances instead of doing an idine here and there to build remaining ballances from my Pre-FT days. Perhaps this benefit will start once the member airlines of an aliiance come out of BK e.g.*A. It would be a wonderful stated benefit of that or any other alliance. AFAIK airlines pay for partner flights on a prenegotiated basis. If they switched to paying partners per ff mile redeemed for partner awards, it might enable such mileage combinations.

I will be curious to see what *A does now that US is out of BK and UA will be following soon. Could OneWorld also step up to the plate? With NWA and DL both newly in BK, SkyTeam might lag on this initiative?

What do you think? Long live FT!!!!
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Doesn't look good...
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rar indeed
Doesn't look good...
yeah...taking longer than expected I think.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:49 pm

Programs: MR Gold, Hilton Gold, US Silver, WN No Luv
From what I've heard, while popular with customers the US/AA mileage pooling program was very expensive for both airlines. The technology links were cumbersome and required lots of handholding. Double dipping on awards (whoo hoo!) was a constant threat and is probably why we won't be seeing these types of combos anytime soon (boo).
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I'm going to go ahead and prevent this 7 year old thread from being bumped again...

Regards,

Flipside

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.