Reload this Page >

Any airlines allow Hawaii interisland openjaw/circle reward trips

Old May 9, 2003, 7:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold

Do any of the majors allow redemption of miles for open jaw/circle trips within the islands.

Ideally, I'd like to fly HNL-LNY-LIH-HNL. Alternatively, I'd settle for HNL-LNY-LIH.

I know a few offer unlimited island hoppers, but I'm looking for something less.

I have miles on AA/BA/CO/DL/NW/QF/UA/US.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 9, 2003, 7:53 am

Also see:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/012305.html
Old May 9, 2003, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
American and United allow open-jaw on award tix, but they do not allow a circle trip or a stopover within the islands. (You can certainly stopover at the gateway city if you like - we've done this on Hawaii awards before.) You have to pony up the extra 5K or buy your one-way interisland ticket.

I guess that's not a big deal: getting the open-jaw is the most important thing to a multi-island visitor because you have to waste half of your last day in Hawaii backtracking to another island just to catch a flight.
Old May 9, 2003, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rocky:
Do any of the majors allow redemption of miles for open jaw/circle trips within the islands.

Ideally, I'd like to fly HNL-LNY-LIH-HNL. Alternatively, I'd settle for HNL-LNY-LIH.

I know a few offer unlimited island hoppers, but I'm looking for something less.

I have miles on AA/BA/CO/DL/NW/QF/UA/US.

Thanks for the help.
</font>
NW will

Old May 9, 2003, 8:59 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
NW with partner Hawaiian will, and if it wasn't for the knowledge here on FT, I might of bought an inter-island ticket seperately from my award ticket!.
Old May 9, 2003, 9:03 am

5K AA miles would get you 2 segments on HA, no matter whether RT or OW (e.g., HNL-LNY-LIH).
Old May 9, 2003, 9:34 am

Hee's what I have done in the past:

There are certain Aloha Airlines flights (like one a day) that are Unitend code shares and you can actually book a round trip (LAX-HNL-KOA-LAX) using FF miles.

Joe
Old May 10, 2003, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Yup, I just booked KOA-LIH-HNL on HA with 5000 NW miles.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
5K AA miles would get you 2 segments on HA, no matter whether RT or OW (e.g., HNL-LNY-LIH).</font>
Old May 10, 2003, 10:02 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
NW does. I'm doing
IAH-HNL-OGG
OGG-HNL
HNL-IAH

The interisland flights are operated by HA. However, the agent books the flight using the NW code-share.

- Pat
Old May 13, 2003, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I have a question that is similar, but slightly different. Maybe someone can help though.

I am planning a trip to Hawaii this summer (actually the 3rd annual Hawaii trip!), and will be using an award ticket on America West. I will be traveling from PHX, going through SEA (picking up someone else), and traveling to our final destination of LIH. The past 2 years we have flown on NW (with HP miles), and have had to purchase separate tickets on Aloha for the HNL-LIH-HNL portion of the trip. This made sense, as NW doesn't fly to LIH.

This year, however, we will be flying Hawaiian (once again HP miles). I was told I can only go as far as HNL with my miles, and if I want to get to my final destination of LIH, I will have to use more miles.

My question: Is this common on most airlines?

I can understand having to use extra miles or pay for hops between the islands to visit more islands, etc., but that is not what I am trying to do here. We simply want to fly to LIH. I would love it if I didn't have to go through HNL, but I don't think that is an option.

When I asked the agent booking the travel, she told me I should be happy there are more flights now.

Funny thing, with all those new flights, I had a much more difficult time booking this year than either of the last two years - go figure.

Old May 16, 2003, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Jenn.
If you are flying from PHX to LIH, all on Hawaiian, you should be able to do that with one award. This assumes you are on Hawaiian metal the whole way. Call them again and tell them your trip is from PHX&gt;LIH not to HNL. I've done this on UA (BOI&gt;SFO&gt;OGG).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JenniferNAz:
I have a question that is similar, but slightly different. Maybe someone can help though.

I am planning a trip to Hawaii this summer (actually the 3rd annual Hawaii trip!), and will be using an award ticket on America West. I will be traveling from PHX, going through SEA (picking up someone else), and traveling to our final destination of LIH. The past 2 years we have flown on NW (with HP miles), and have had to purchase separate tickets on Aloha for the HNL-LIH-HNL portion of the trip. This made sense, as NW doesn't fly to LIH.

This year, however, we will be flying Hawaiian (once again HP miles). I was told I can only go as far as HNL with my miles, and if I want to get to my final destination of LIH, I will have to use more miles.

My question: Is this common on most airlines?

I can understand having to use extra miles or pay for hops between the islands to visit more islands, etc., but that is not what I am trying to do here. We simply want to fly to LIH. I would love it if I didn't have to go through HNL, but I don't think that is an option.

When I asked the agent booking the travel, she told me I should be happy there are more flights now.

Funny thing, with all those new flights, I had a much more difficult time booking this year than either of the last two years - go figure.

</font>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.