FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - why can't AA compete on DFW - DCA (or RIC or IAD)???
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:39 pm
PresRDC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
I suspect that they aren't selling anywhere near 90 seats at $600. I would be willing to bet that a large number of these seats are being sold on GSA contracts (eg: fare class of full - "Y", but paying Q price per seat).
Keep in mind too, that DFW is a hub and the majority of people on the flight are not originating in DFW. There are a limited # of O/D pax on these flights.

I continue to feel the same way about fare price complaints by DFW based flyers now as I did last year. Having an AA hub in your city gets you non-stop service to more cities than you otherwise would with more frequency than you otherwise would. You are connected to more international cities than you otherwise would. You have better airport facilities than you otherwise would.

You pay a premium for this. If you value cost over convenience, fly another carrier out ouf DFW and deal with needing to connect. You cannot reasonably expect AA to offer you all the destinations and frequencies that it does at the same or near the same price as its competitors.