FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what happens if you lose your passport on flt back to us
Old Jul 1, 2008, 3:12 pm
FlyingHoustonian

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Not exactly on the plane but I lost one of my passports in an airport terminal once. For the USA I have two, one tourist (blue) and one official (maroon) passport. My official passport and some other papers and cards fell out of a "secure" zipped pocked of my briefcase, as it seemed after the fact, the bottom pocket stiching was old and frayed and gave way at some point in the terminal. I know it wasn't outside as I used it at security, then put it back in the pocket.

I was lucky and had my tourist passport and NATO ID and Military ID in my pocket with my wallet so no big issue getting into the US or Europe, but had it been a trip where I didn't have the backup I probably couldn't have gotten on the plane, as they usually check at the gate on international flights. talk about being screwed. My lesson learned, don't buy a cheap breifcase...

Ciao,
FH