FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Today at the checkpoint, I encountered the unspeakable ...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:42 pm
oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate

Programs: I work for the TSA
Hmmm, let's see how I can put this without violating official policies ...

The way I understand it is as follows:

The 3-1-1 rule still applies, but if you dispute the assertion that your water bottle actually contains a dangerous explosive the TSO may, at his or her discretion, run a test on your water and allow you to keep it if it passes.

Note the bolded part. Translation: don't count on getting to keep your oversized LGAs!

In an attempt to obfuscate an already murky rule, the TSA also added at the 11th hour (I think -- at least I don't recall seeing it before) some verbiage about allowing PAX to keep their (harmless) liquids providing they have a "compelling and extraordinary" need for them.

Once again, it's up to the individual TSO to define "compelling and extraordinary" as they see fit. (I can assure you that I personally will be finding many circumstances "compelling and extraordinary," such as, oh for instance, thirst!)

The important thing, IMO, is that we properly screen the liquids we allow through. Our primary concern ought to be security, and if something is harmless, we have no business taking it away (IMO)!

It remains to be seen whether this can be accomplished with existing staffing levels. I suspect the way the rule will play out 'in real life' is that some TSOs will screen liquids and allow them through as time permits, while others will continue to enforce 3-1-1. I fear that it's going to be very confusing to passengers, and may cause the agency even more bad press than it's already garnered. Time will tell, I guess!