FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My First Trip to Turkey - How It Came About - Where I'm Going
Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:31 pm
Flying Buccaneer

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Bye Bye Turkey

June 28, 2008 IST-LHR
British Airways 677
B-767
Seat 27B

As I left the BA Lounge, it hit me that I had been in Turkey for 16 days. Australia and New Zealand are the only other countries outside the US that I have ever spent as much time in continuously. When you spend that much time somewhere, anywhere, there will be things that you miss. But I am ready to go home. The first stop on the way home is London.

Our flight finished boarding and loading bags well before the scheduled departure time of 5:25 p.m. However, because of air traffic control at LHR, we would not be allowed to take off until 5:45 p.m., optimistically. Thank goodness the optimistic estimate was correct.

About 30 minutes after takeoff, the FAs started serving the meal: chicken stewed with vegetables, salad nicoise with tuna (canned, but packed in olive oil), a packaged roll, and chocolate silk pie. The video system was not working, but I didn't care. I had some work to do and my iPhone to keep me entertained. The flight arrived at the gate a couple of minutes ahead of schedule (7:35 p.m.), and less than 30 minutes later I was waiting for the Hoppa Bus to take me to the Sheraton Skyline Hotel. When T5 works as planned, it is a thing of beauty!

I arrived at the Sheraton Skyline a little after 8:30 p.m., and my reservation for a classic room with a double bed was upgraded to a king executive room. It was nice to walk into a hotel room that was really air conditioned!

I made my way up to the Club Lounge for a snack and some water, and to check email. The ability to use the free wireless in the lounge is much more attractive than the price the hotel charges in the room.

Off to bed, for my flight at 7:55 a.m. tomorrow.