FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - overpay for schedule - delay - end up on originally cheaper flight
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:02 pm
Sam - DFW

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Actually, AA has a policy commonly called the "flat tire rule" that deals precisely w/the type of situation in which the pax misses a plane by oversleeping, ground transportation problems, etc...
my knowledge of this is limited to a google search which pulls up the following article/blog from five days ago saying that essentially the flat-tire rule is gone (number 2 and number 1 results when you google "flat tire rule":

http://www.elliott.org/blog/airlines...lift-earnings/

and here:

http://www.elliott.org/blog/flat-tire-rule-goes-flat/

I’ve heard from numerous readers who say that airlines are taking a hard line on people who don’t show up in time for their flights.

A few travelers reported being stuck in long check-in lines (even though they arrived at the airport hours before their departure) missing their flights, and having to buy new tickets.

Others had the proverbial flat tire on their way to the airport, and were told “tough luck” when they tried to check in. They, too, had to buy new tickets.
The airline contract of carriage allows a carrier to cancel a flight when there are circumstances beyond its control — any thing from bad weather to political unrest. Airline passengers are pretty understanding when that happens. After all, you shouldn’t be responsible for something you can’t control.

Should airlines be similarly compassionate when their passengers can’t make a flight?
does AA have it? i don't know. i had never heard of it b/c i have never missed a flight on AA (as far as i remember - too scared to). i know that i missed a flight on national in 2001 (??? some airline that connected through MO for dfw - lax), and my entire reservation was canceled with no refund and no opportunity to change to a later flight. no flat-tire rule there.

again, i don't want to take away from my point and that is that when i pay a premium for something and get something lesser, i should get my premium back.

brp says that is logistically impossible. sdg says they won't budge. i think there's an argument, and others here agree (thanks jordyn).