FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My First Trip to Turkey - How It Came About - Where I'm Going
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:29 pm
Craig6z
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
If there's one thing I could change about this hotel, it would be the neighborhood. I know that's a stupid comment, but it's a little too chic or trendy for my taste. Then again, I am in what is considered the top hotel in Ankara, so what did I expect?
I visited Ankara 6 times, starting in 1990 and last about 11 months ago. The area that you are staying in has changed a lot over the years, and IMO it is quite pleasant. Take my word for it, back in 1990 it was dusty and dowdy. Ankara proper as a whole has improved dramatically, while the suburbs have been deteriorating (due to the influx of lower and lower middle class people from rural villages).

Enjoy Ankara. While not one of the great capitals of the world, its negatives are offset by the wonderful residents, and the reasonable prices.

One final note, while in Turkey make sure you get a haircut. It ranks with the Hamam for memorable "grooming" experiences.