FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam Warning! VND to USD Currency Exchange Issues
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:36 pm
tkdash421

Programs: ua mp
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Sorry, beg to differ. As a visitor using unofficial places you leave yourself open to receiving fake VN notes, or simply the wrong number of notes having been confused by the large denominations.

As you say, best not to change more then you need to or enlist a local to help you if you're unsure.

I've used the Eximbank agent on Le Loi (roughly opposite the Louis Vitton, half way between the theatre and the Rex roundabout) for years without trouble - sometimes changing the equivalent of a few thousand USD, both ways. (Not used them for 6 months - I trust they are still there.)

You are entitled to your opinion, and I agree with you. If someone is reading this that is coming to Vietnam for the first time and/or does not have a local friend, please use the official rate. If you have been to Vietnam before and/or have a connection, you are simply robbing yourself by accepting the official rate of 16.200VND when you could get 17,000VND or more.

When the rate hits 20,000 black market to the official rate of 16,200, I would hope that someone would contact me or anyone in Vietnam that they know instead of simply giving a large percentage of their money to the exchange.

I am attempting to change my money tomorrow at a recommended bank and I will be sure to update the post with my success or failure. The Vietnam government is trying their best to have the banks honor the official rate, but so far I have seen them "running out of" USD.