FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Runners: Who Are They--And Are They Crazy??
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:59 am
czarina

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
I love to be a MR. I am flying somewhere every 30-45 days. Usually long haul flights, even if it is just for a weekend, to go to a party, or have dinner at my favorite place in Paris.

Karen hit the nail on the head in that interview, and like Karen and ESpen 36, I love to travel. I come out of pocket for it, as it is all personal, but I am fortunate enough to have a job and resources that allow me to do so. Flying is so exciting. It is my hobby, and I've been at it for 17 years now, since I was 18 and took my first plane to Boot Camp. Like some people like to take trips by car, I like to take trips by plane. United Airlines has a survey after each flight, and one of the questions is: "No matter how often I travel by plane, I still get excited", and I always answer: "strongly agree". Non-fliers and IVBTs don't get it. They always have frustration and tragedies with air travel, but just like anything, if you do it enough, you become good at it, and for me it is fun. I enjoy the airports (I have a RCC membership). I like getting nice treatement being an elite, and even knowing the GA, TA, flight crew, who get a kick out of me reciting the safety announcments word for word, and the TSA loves me because I am prepared for screeing, well in advance.

Are we eco-scourge? Well according to many--including Al Gore (who uses more electricity in his home in a month, than most use in a year), all MRs are. Of course he always flew around in a private Boeing several times a month for eight years, but *I'm* a baddie for leisure travel. //enough Gore bashing...after all he did make this forum possible by inventing the Internet.//

What's the difference between montly plane trips, and those who commute 2 hours one-way in traffic 5 days a week?

Anyway, I love doing this, and as long as I have my health, the time, and the finances, I will fly and do MRs. Everyone has their thing...this is mine.