FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bali driver / car service recommendations
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:35 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm just back from Bali. On our last visit two years ago, we reserved with Wayan Sueta and found him a very knowledgeable guide a good driver. We spent two and a half days with him. The budget was nowhere near "175,000 - 260,000 Rupiah" though. Back then, it was about 400,000 for a full day. Perhaps we overpaid. But at about $45 per days, I don't think so. I don't know what his current rates are, but they're likely higher given the current hikes in fuel prices.

Unfortunately, I tried to contact Wayan for the most recent trip and could not get any emails to go through. It turned out just fine in the end: I contacted Dewa Marco at practically the last minute and was able to book in with him. Marco's perfectly competent and pleasant cousin Dewa Pablo drove on the first day (a half-day starting at 1pm shopping for art around Ubud) and the second day (a full day in East Bali, from 9:30 to 3:30). Dewa Marco drove for the third day (a half day around Seminyak and Ubud, starting at 3:00 til 8:30 pm). And Dewa Marco took us to the airport on our last day. On this visit, we were pretty familiar with things and knew what we wanted to do, so didn't rely on Pablo or Marco for advice as much as a first-time visitor might. But they were still excellent and I would heartily recommend them to anyone. Rates range from about 350,000 IDR for a half-day to 450,000 for a full day. It's worth it and a very good value, actually, even if you rely on them solely for transport, not guide services.

Dewa Marco now lives near Kuta, though his family is from Ubud. Dewa Pablo still lives near Ubud. Don't let their locations, though, prevent you from calling them. No matter where you're staying in Bali, I'm sure they will work with you if their schedules permits.