FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)
Old May 29, 2008, 12:22 am
grahampros

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by alohatoall
We take (or should I say "took") #72 from HNL to ORD at least 4 or 5 times/year, most recently at the end of April on our way to Rome, and it was full then. I remember the load eastbound as always being full or nearly so, and a quick check of the seating map confirms this.
I talked to the EXP desk this morning, and I would like to urge all of you who are upset about the elimination of flights #72 and 73 to PLEASE contact AA and to voice your feelings here. As the agent said, AA monitors this site carefully, and we might be able to make a difference!!!
As has been stated many many times here, full flights are not a direct indication of profitability. It's all about average fare paid and the cost to operate a given flight. Or more in airline terms, Revenue per Available Seat Mile (RASM) vs Cost per Available Seat Mile. (CASM). Full flights do not mean profiblity..let's understand that.

What I am certain of, if the flight was making money for AA on consistent basis (with the current circumstances of high fuel costs/ and down economy), or if they could not make more money with the equipment on another route, it would have not been canceled.

Out of curiosity, what did the OP pay for the routing from HNL-ORD-FCO?

Don't waste your time on contacting AA about your "feelings" on a given route. It's all about dollars and recovering costs here. The airline doesn’t (nor should they) care about how folks "feel" about a flight. Let's understand that AA ( and every airline in the US) is fighting for survival here and feelings that someone is pissed off that their favorite flight gets canceled does not count in this context.