FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting to Vancouver, BC, by car from Seattle? Problems?
Old May 28, 2008, 5:38 pm
RFTraveler

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
I'm sure that others will pop in here, but...

Streets and Trips says it's a 2.5 hr drive. Expect a lot more, and hope to be pleasantly surprised with what you get.

Expect long lines at the border. Remember that it's now a "secure" border... You might need your passport to return to the USA...but I'm not sure if that's been implemented yet.

A Google search came up with this from a FT thread about insurance:

Okay, something that I really know about. If you are leaving the USA and going to Canada, you should make sure that the car that you are driving has a Canadian Inter- Provincial Insurance Card. A card from your own personal insurance company, will NOT work. The card that you need specifically lists the VIN, year and make of the car that you are driving. I have been an insurance agent in western NY (Rochester, specifically) for the past 25 years, and I know personally of several people that were stopped and their cars impounded for failure to produce the correct card. I have overnighted the cards to clients to enable them to continue their trips. It is usually not a problem, but when there is "conflict" between the officials in Canada and the US, sometimes the rules are closely enforced.

Ask the rental company for a Canadian Insurance ID card.

And this - don't know if it applies, I'm in the middle of posting this reply and can't see your profile...

One other thing I didn't see listed here, remember that CANADIANS (I think that's Canadian residents) cannot take a U.S. rental car into Canada! Sounds unlikely I know, but if you were from Vancouver, visiting Rochester, you couldn't take that Hertz car into Niagara Falls Ontario.

One exception is one-way truck rentals, which are explicitly allowed.

Those posts were from 1999 though...

Good luck. It's been a few years since I went up there...

RFTraveler. ^