FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)
Old May 28, 2008, 10:12 am
CO FF

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Miami-Providenciales, for example, has the highest CASM in AA's entire network. These routes command high fares for relatively short distances. MIA-PLS is a very short hop - shorter than MIA-ATL - but easily commands an average one-way fare of over $280.
CASM (Cost per Available Seat Mile), or RASM (REVENUE per Available Seat Mile)?

Originally Posted by mvoight
> Washigton/Reagan-Fayetteville, AK (American Eagle/MQ)

I think that would be AR. AK is Alaska.
DCA-Fayetteville, Alaska on an RJ will be started on the same day AA finally starts to fly NRT-LIT...

Originally Posted by inlanikai
But I still don't get it. With mainland-HNL service being reduced with the demise of ATA and Aloha you mean to tell me they couldn't fill one plane a day out of ORD profitably? I know, I know, some bean counter figured they could make more money putting the a/c on some other run. So be it. More biz ex-ORD for UA.

Upgrades and awards to/from HNL are going to be a bear to get from now on.
Everyone who complains about losing upgrades and awards is proving AA's point...757s from LAX to Hawaii burn less fuel per passenger, and require less staffing, and are less useful elsewhere.

Originally Posted by flyboy777
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080528/law021a.html?.v=1

LONDON, May 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced that it will discontinue service between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and London's Stansted Airport, effective July 2. The service was launched in October 2007.

American Airlines will continue to offer its full schedule of flights between JFK and London's Heathrow Airport.

In light of the present economic conditions & Delta/Continental adding lots of capacity to the LON-JFK market this makes sense, especially after EOS's demise

Who wants to go first at pretending to act bewildered?
It would be interesting to find out whether there were any lingering liabilities to STN for gates, etc., and how much AA spent to fit out its space there...but I agree, this one was an easy cut, especially as a capacity reduction in anticipation of any future AA-BA-CO deal that wants antitrust immunity.