FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Original Routing Credit on Voluntary changes (bump/standby etc.)? (consolidated)
Old May 21, 2008, 10:41 am
vrbaba

Original Routing Credit when flying Standby + misc

So I had a flight from ORD - STL - MCO, but I was able to hop on a direct flight from ORD - MCO by going standby assuming that I will still get the credit for the flights I bought.

Turns out, I only got the mileage credit for ORD-MCO, and here is the response from AA:

-------------------------------------------
Thank you for your e-mail to AAdvantageŽ Customer Service. I'm delighted
to help.

Unfortunately, miles are not earned on segments of your itinerary that
you did not actually fly. It's not enough to purchase an eligible
ticket; in order to earn AAdvantageŽ miles, members must use the ticket
to travel on eligible flights.

I'm sorry my response couldn't be more positive. We value your loyalty
as an Elite member and are eager to continue the beneficial relationship
we have enjoyed thus far. Thank you for your understanding.
--------------------------------------------

Not complaining, just want to verify with the FT community that this is indeed how it works. I have read about the term 'Original routing credit' and assumed that you get miles for the itin you buy regardless of if you get re-routed or not. However, involuntary re-route is different than voluntary standby.

<Side issue/rant>

Why the &*($ do GAs always make it hard for me to get on standby? Every single time I try to go on standby, the first response is flight is completely checked in. Then usually there have been over 10-15 people at least on the standby flights. So when I ask them to put me on the standby anyways, the response is "No, you will not get on". Then, at that point, I am just like "Yes, I may, I should be able to pass some of these people on the list" . Then I show them the BP saying I am Platinum, and they make a sour face and start working...saying 'yeah, we'll call your name' as if they just did a huge favor for me which they did not want to.

Every flight as PLT that I have gone standby for, I am either 1st or 2nd, and obviously made it easily with an exit row seat.

Is it just because of age/appearance/race/whtever? They can at least look at the BP first and then make a judgment call if its worth the effort to put the person on the list.

<end rant>