FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!
Old May 18, 2008, 5:40 pm
dstan
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by flight62
You bid for your schedule. The schedules (lines of time) vary in the amount of time flown. One line may be worth 77 hours, one line may be worth 84 hours. That's flight hours. Some f/a's fly as little has they have to. Some fly a lot because of whatever reason. I generally fly about 85 hours a month.
Sorry, I'm still not getting it. When I bid for something at, for example, an auction, I'm offering a certain amount of money for an item or whatever. I can be outbid by someone who offers more money. So, when you say your bidding for your schedule, what are the 'units' you're bidding? Can you be outbid for a schedule? Or does it really just go by seniority and you get the schedule for which you've bid and you're most senior?

Is there a certain set amount of hours you need to fly each month? Or is it as much as you want to make the money you need?

I did actually know that the FA's don't technically clock hours until the door closes (from FT!), but I'd assume that's included to a certain extent in your hourly wage. As an academic, I only get paid for about 50% of the hours I work.

Finally, I'll go with FALSE, too, since the FAR require that exit row pax, among other things, be able to understand verbal commands in the language used by the crew, which, I assume, is English on US Airways.

Thanks again!