FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!
Old May 17, 2008, 10:40 pm
flight62

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by dstan
Thanks for your invaluable contributions, flight62 and all of our other US employees as well! ^

Here's one I've wondered about - how does the whole process of bidding for flights work?
Some of this may sound like a different language, but I will try my best to translate in laymen terms.

We bid for trips. The trip pairings may consist of 1, 2, 3, or 4 day trips. We bid for schedules every month. Schedules consist of various trip pairings. Some lines of time have consistent trips. Others are a mix bag. T/A flights are usually consistent.(i.e LGW)

Each line has a number assigned. As an example, the A320 family lines of time in CLT for July have 111 different lines (schedules). They are number Lines 4510-4612. All of our aircraft have lines of time that vary according to the base.

If I am one inclined to just fly the A320 family, I would look at # of days working each line has, where they go, how many legs I have to work per day, what time they leave the first day and when they arrive the last day, if they are t/c or up and down all day, or how much time the trip is worth. All those criteria are contingent upon what each f/a desires.

We then bid for the schedules and are assigned according to seniority. It gets too complicated, but we f/a's are always changing, trading, dropping, and adding trips. THAT is for another time. Some f/a's keep their trips..others trade or work others things.

DID YOU KNOW? (CLT)

Transatlantic flights are the most senior.

Senior trips in order (CLT)

1. One day islands trips.
2. C.O.D. (Continuous On Duty) trips..last flight out at night..first out back in
in morning.
3. Two day redeyes...i.e leave CLT-SFO at 740 am and come back that night on the redeye.
4. Any 1 day trip.
5. Any 2 day trip.
6. 3 day redeyes...i.e leave CLT-SFO at 6 pm..Leave the following night on redeye.
7. Any 3 day.
8 4 days.