FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions
Old May 14, 2008, 8:55 pm
RadioGirl

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

I've been diagnosed with bad osteoarthritis in one hip - walking for any distance (> 50 yards at a time) is painful (especially with a laptop backpack) and standing is worse. I'm scheduled to fly SYD-LAX-DEN in two weeks, with return two weeks later (QF and AA). I can face the long flights but the prospect of endless corridors, waiting for baggage and especially the TSA lines at LAX really worry me. A domestic trip to MEL and back a few weeks ago didn't kill me, but it wasn't pleasant.

My mom (experienced with arthritis, but not really with air travel) suggests asking for wheelchair assistance. Is "it really hurts to walk" a good enough reason for this? I don't want to abuse the system or take resources from people who need it more than I do.

Who uses (and how do you arrange) those electric vehicles that zoom around the terminal? Is that a better alternative?

If I request wheelchair assistance (which I assume is linked to my e-ticket), I have some further questions. In LAX, will they take me from the gate through immigration, baggage claim, baggage drop-off and to the Qantas Club (all in terminal 4)? How do I/they handle moving my checked baggage? I have four hours between flights and I can make it from the Club to my departure gate.

In DEN I would just like help from the gate to baggage claim and somewhere to sit while waiting. Once I have my bag I should be okay. Leaving DEN it would be nice to have help through the TSA lines and to the Admiral's Club.

Some have mentioned tipping the wheelchair helpers. Is this the usual thing and if so, how much? (Will need to get US cash before leaving SYD.)

Am I going to attract unpleasant attention? (I can deal with it; I'd just like to know.) I don't look old enough for arthritis. (I'm NOT old enough!)

I'll be travelling with a work colleague (same industry, different company); I'm sure he'll help but I don't want to impose on him.

Any advice would be appreciated; I'm really frustrated as I've always been an efficient, well-organised independent traveller.