FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Los Angeles 101: What you must know when visiting LA
Old May 13, 2008, 4:05 pm
wingless

Programs: FT Member # 642
Los Angeles 101: What you must know when visiting LA

Since many questions are being asked over and over I thought those that have some good input could post here for visitors to LA.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

Yes, many in LA will say it is not possible but it is. It is not as reliable as most cities and some places it is really difficult to get from point A to point B.

Flyaway
www.lawa.org/flyaway is a bus service to and from LAX . If you take the LAX to Union Station (Downtown) it takes about 30-45 minutes. Flyaway also goes to Van Nuys and UCLA.

This is the fastest way Downtown but you can take the Green Line to the Blue Line but it takes a lot more time and with luggage not fun....you have to take Green Line Shuttle from LAX to the Green Line too. www.mta.net

Once at Union Station I would take a look around if you have time www.yelp.com/biz/union-station-los-angeles and head over the Olvera Street which is less than a block away. http://www.yelp.com/biz/olvera-stree...w/query:olvera
Olvera Street is like being in Mexico. Check out the restaurants and the carts with authentic products from Mexico.

Back to Union Station you can pick up the Metrolink www.metrolinktrains.com if you are headed out of LA to places like Orange County, Riverside or San Bernardino or take Amtrak Surfliner to San Diego or other Amtrak trains www.amtrak.com

Or you can pick up one of the other rails www.mta.net to Long Beach, Pasadena, Universal City and Hollywood

If you want to go to the beach the rails do not go there but the Santa Monica 10 Bus picks you up near Union Station and takes you to Santa Monica in about 20 minutes. Check schedule www.mta.net

If you want to go directly from LAX to the beach cities a cab ride will cost about $20 to Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach or Manhattan Beach or you can take the MTA www.mta.net or the Beach Cities Transit http://www.redondo.org/depts/hbt/tra...it/default.asp The Green Line does end in Redondo Beach but no where near the beach but it will take you to Northrup Gruuman.

To Venice Beach or Santa Monica
it will cost you quite a bit more by cab but you can use the MTA www.mta.net or the Big Blue Bus www.bigbluebus.com

LAX to Disneyland Resort area try The Disneyland Express http://www.coachamerica.com/citypage...cation/anaheim

Shopping Near LAX

Try the Ocean Express www.gatewaytola.org/oceanexpress.html and go to Manhattan Beach which is just 3 miles away from LAX www.ci.manhattan-beach.ca.us .

There you can go to Manhattan Village (a mall) www.shopmanhattanvillage.com

Then you can take the Ocean Express down Manhattan Beach Blvd near the pier where there are a lot of high end stores including many boutiques www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com/shopping.cfm and the Metlox Plaza www.metloxmb.com

Is It Safe Taking Public Transportation?

On the Blue Line parts of it goes through South Central but I have taken it many times during the day and night. Yeah...sometimes some odd characters but I have never had a problem but I wouldn't do any sight seeing in the area. Just be smart like you would anywhere else. There is no other reason to be in the "questionable areas."

WARNING The only thing you have to really worry about when taking Public Transportation is the stigma about riding buses. My bf and I occasionally opt for taking a bus/rail to Staples Center and Home Depot Center...get over it.

Bike Riding

A fun way to get around parts of LA is by riding a bike. In most, if not all, of the beach cities you can rent a bike and take a nice ride on The Strand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...ybiketrail.jpg which is a 22 mile side walk that runs from just North of Santa Monica to Palos Verdes. There are also many bike paths and bike lanes through out LA. www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/la_bike_map.pdf We do have a lot of traffic so you should wear a helmet on the streets and children are required by law to wear a helmet.

Walking In Downtown LA

I found this great website that gives you maps and podcast to see Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Disney Concert Hall and more www.downtownlawalks.com

Last edited by wingless; Oct 3, 2008 at 8:30 am Reason: adding more info