FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My "Fake" Drivers License is a Done Deal
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2008, 11:52 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My "Fake" Drivers License is a Done Deal

I can't find the original ID thread where I stated my intention to do this, so pardon the new topic.

After a recent altercation with SEA TSA over my very old FL drivers license, the new 'ID regulations' and the fact my FL license has my SSN on it (making me a sitting duck for ID theft if I ever lost it), I decided to get a new drivers license in Hawai'i where they don't really care what your real address is. My goal with this project was securing a new license which was both legal for driving and met the TSA's silly new regulations for acceptable ID, while at the same time, not show my actual legal home address or have an address on file which is traceable back to where I really live. In the case of the TSA 'writing down' the info off my DL, or losing the license, I would be protected from ID theft or other TSA miscreant behavior, not to mention the satisfaction of 'sticking it to The Man' as far as this ID nonsense goes.

I rented a mailbox in Honolulu for my 'Hawai'i residence', visited the DMW office on Dillingham after arriving in Honolulu, and filled out the forms to transfer the Florida DL. The experience, save for the harder-than-expected written test was a pleasant breeze. Total time was under 1 hour, which was less time than it would have taken me to get *into* any Florida DMV office, let alone finish the process. Everyone at the DMV office was so nice, I almost fainted from shock - smiles, patience, laughter - I wasn't sure if it was really the DMV.

Total cost was $20 including the test, and the license paid for itself after saving $24 with my new Kama'aina discount at the Bishop Museum. I also noticed I was treated differently everywhere from my hotel, to restaurants, even to the ABC store if they saw the Hawaiian license - kind of a 'you're one of us and we'll treat you better' feeling.

Pro - I have a TSA compliant ID, they have no idea where I really live (so much for security, eh?), and I'm better insulated from ID theft since my name will not officially match with the DL address as far as the credit bureaus go.

Con - One of my worst photos, ever!