FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No Lounge Access at CAN
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2008, 4:53 pm
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by woody125
I sure as heck hope that it's allowed for a STE+ guy this November with an 11hour layover and no visa to leave the airport. Might being a Delta guy help? I can't imagine that alone mattering much but who knows. Hopefully, by then they have their kinks worked out. Sorry that happened to you. Please do let us know how it turns out.
You will be able to leave the airport without a visa. China now allows 24 hours of visa free transit (48 hours at the 2 Shanghai Airports).

I've spent a lot of time in Guangzhou and I can't say there is a whole lot to do as a tourist. A bus will take you from the airport to the main train station. You can get on the subway from there. The subway is really modern and clean and goes to or near most major destinations in the city. Beijing Road or Team Plaza are probably best for shopping. The area around the Garden Hotel has a lot of western bars but the subway doesn't go there, it requires a bus or taxi to get to. The island where the White Swan Hotel is located is also quite interesting as the architecture is all old colonial, this was controlled by the British for some time. The riverfront along the Pearl river is popular but the river is so polluted that I never cared for it.