FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAs ... does airplane ice come from the on-board water tanks?
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:32 pm
l etoile
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, I thought about the ice obviously being already on board after I wrote the topic. On long hauls though I thought perhaps they made more ice. The FAs let my son store is ice bags for chilling his samples in their freezer so I thought maybe there is ice-making capabilities. I'm more curious about the water that comes out of the little spigots near the galley though as those are clearly meant to be used for drinking water. I'm wondering if there's a separate tank for those and a separate one for the lav sinks.

I have been on some Atlantic Coast CRJs that have those signs that say not to drink the water. The UA planes with little cups in the lav, however, would suggest it's OK.

Yes, he's been testing for fecal coliform. He's found it on all our flights that originated in New Zealand and Australia (not too surprising since he found it in our hotels there too). Problem, as I see it with domestic flights, is that that plane could have just tanked up with water in Mexico and then flew to LAX, where you board, for a flight to SFO, for example.

Thanks for all the replies.