FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:59 am
seanthepilot
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by mlg70
Any advice about Koh Racha? Mid-May?
My only trip to Koh Racha Yai recently was a fairly easy 1 hour speedboat ride from Chalong Pier. Some on the boat were a bit seasick even though the seas were calm. Check safety equipment on Thai boats, especially life vests as Thai vessels are often under equiped... & sea conditions change quickly in this part of the world.

The island is lovely. The beaches picture perfect. A few restaurants and sundry stores with prices a bit higher than Phuket, but not crazy. The resort is lovely, but the resort beach not the nicest on the island.

May has rain. This month the rain has been an hour or so a day, sometimes in the morning, sometimes afternoon, sometimes after dark. One in 3 or 4 days has been hot and sunny.

Enjoy... and report your experience for others

Originally Posted by challett

I am going to be spend 2 weeks in Phuket at the Marriott Beach Club with my parents. While I have heard that the resort is beautiful, I also understand it's rather remote.

I am planning on spending most of my time scuba diving, but there don't seem to be many dive shops around the Mai Khao area. Has anyone had any experience with any of the dive shops? Should I plan on commuting to Chalong or up to Khao Lak? Is it even possible to rent a car to commute, or will I be at the mercy of taxis/private car?
I think most dive shops will offer hotel pickup. They may charge a higher fee if they know you're at the Marriott

Car and Motorcycle rentals are everywhere. Many that claim insurance are not completely honest about the coverage. Expect to pay for any damages. Some recommend only franchised 'big name' rentals, but the local renters are jsut as good... as long as you're aware of conditions.

Phuket roads take many lives. Many drunks on the road at night means being extra careful. If renting a motorcycle/scooter WEAR your helmet & International license is advised too. For safety sake and for the many roadblocks that check both. Fines for no helmet/license are about 500THB ($15US)