FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best place to exchange money
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:47 pm
Insiderdude

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Agreed with all that suggest ATMs. I worked at a Forex house (both as a trader and manager) for a few years and I can attest that with those of us in the industry, we recommend using ATMs. If you're part of an ATM alliance (such as Bank of America-US, ScotiaBank-Canada, Barclays-UK, etc.) then you can withdraw money with those machines on the Plus sytem FEE FREE. I do that all the time in YYC - all I use are Scotia ATMs with my BofA card - not only is it fee free, the ATM rates have very little spreads on them, thus getting you as close to interbank as possible.

Of course, there was one time a Scotia ATM ate my debit card. I was SOL after that.. haha.. serves me right to count the cash and lapse on the card while the machine spit it out hanging... I didn't take it out in time and i guess it was a security feature to protect the next person from taking it in case I actually forgot to pull it out.