FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Card Declined--new 5* restaurant (SleEk) goofs Amex cards
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:37 pm
estnet

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Another amex trick - really bad of amex

I had a charge declined for $40 at a restaurant. The restaurant handled it well - but I was upset given that I had a xxK limit on the card and a CREDIT balance of 1k at the time. No one could give me a satisfactory answer at amex during 20 minutes on the phone so I called when I got home.

It turns out that a new credit card I had just received (of course only b/c of a mileage promo) had the wrong bank number so a $20 charge I paid online was reversed -AMEX THEN BLOCKED EVERY AMEX CARD I HAD!!!! The absurdity of this (good customer over 20 yrs, a credit balance of 1k in the other account and they block all my accounts over $20) took 3 calls and about an hour on the phone until I reached a sane person.

I was out of the country so had arranged online payment and even tho amex had accepted the bank info and showed it was paid (I checked online) -when there was a problem they didn't email me (altho they did email confirmation of payment), but sent me snail mail which or course got to me waaay after the problem was already solved.