FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Fuel Surcharges Masquerading As 'Taxes'.....Time For An 'Inside Flyer' Expose
Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:51 am
beaubo

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Award Fuel Surcharges Masquerading As 'Taxes'.....Time For An 'Inside Flyer' Expose

Good Morning Randy-

I am perplexed about the ability and reasonableness of European and Canadian airline programs to include fuel surcharges in their 'tax' calculations for award tickets. And I am obviously equally concerned that our US-based lemmings, I mean programs, are poised to join their European brethren in adding the fuel surcharge to award tickets.

I am fully aware of the verbiage of all the programs that essentially gives them the RIGHT to make such carte blanche decisions. I suppose my issue is whether it merits having some kind of article in "Inside Flyer' that at least analyzes this issue, if not actually championing its repeal.

I am sympathetic with the plight of the airlines and understand that when purchasing airline tickets, one needs to brace for these fuel surcharges. And, obviously, we all want the airlines to survive, if not thrive...so that the programs and our miles stay intact.

I am hopeful that 'InsideFlyer' will choose to take the initiative to 'look under the hood' at the airlines' methodology on award ticket fuel surcharges.

With fuel surcharges on long haul travel exceeding $250 and top of the myriad patchwork of taxes, a $600 cost for an award ticket is a startling and unwelcome reality.

You have the bully pulpit.....will you chooose to use it?

Thanks!

Last edited by beaubo; Apr 3, 2008 at 6:53 am Reason: edited out 'conspiracy theory' content!!