FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:32 pm
B747-437B

At the risk of plugging something that I once wrote in a trip report, I sum up my philosophy on this subject as....

"I find trip report writing to be quite therapeutic. What better way to mitigate the anxieties and hassles of life on the road than to share them with others who feel the same way."

The good Trip Reports are the ones that the reader can identify with - either with a "hey, that sounds like me" or a "wow, I wish that was me" or a "dang, I'm glad that's not me" reaction. The greatest ones package all three of those into a single post.

How exactly the author reaches that point though depends on their own motives for writing the report and their own skills at communicating. Sometimes one needs to share just a little bit more than the reader is expecting to read in order to create the personal connection. Its an art form and every person has their own tastes and skills.

The beauty of this forum (and the true joy I get from being the moderator here) lies in the sheer variety of viewpoints and experiences that are shared here. There is truly a lifetime full of highlights documented on these pages and we are priviledged to have the various authors share these with us.