FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Food in Manila?
View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:14 pm
Mr. Roboto

Originally Posted by viking407rob
I'll certainly look into that. Thanks for the tip! ^
You're welcome! Walang anuman!(sp?) Here's more information on the location:

Salcedo Market
Jaime Velasquez Park
Tordesillas & Leviste (formerly Alfaro) Streets
Salcedo Village, MAKATI

I also found some photos on the web: LINK

Another gem you might want to try is Café Juanita, which is more of a proper dining experience. It's just north of the Fort (just across the river), in a residential area, in between Ortigas & the Fort, but closer to the latter. The restaurant used to be a house, don't let outside looks deceive you. It's like eating at grandma's house, it's even furnished that way, (naturally I'm referring to a Filipina grandmother!) They have a Sunday lunch buffet which was priced at PHP375.00++ last year. The only thing I would caution you about is that it can get rather crowded on Sundays with families. Their regular menu (non-buffet) offers food from the Philippines as well as from Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Mediterranean.

Café Juanita
21 United St (corner West Capitol Dr.)
Barrio Kapitolyo
PASIG
Open daily, 11am to 2pm; 5.30pm to 10pm. (Fridays until 12 midnight)
Credit Cards accepted.
Tel: +02 6320357 (good idea to write this down and call for reservations & directions, I had my mobile phone in the car and had them speak with the driver)

Please report back if you get to try any of these two venues and let us know if you discover any other places.

Addendum: Next door to Café Juanita is another place called Kainan au Gusto, which is more downscale and cheaper, but definitely just as tasty! The good thing is the two places are owned by the same person.

BTW, I saw your other post about the Holiday Inn in Ortigas, that's where I was last month! I usually stay at the Renaissance in Makati, but their rates were about double and they had some construction in the lobby area at the time. My only complaint about the Ortigas area is the traffic getting there from Makati, 30-40 minutes for a distance of only 7 kms. However, I did get to the Holiday Inn in 18 minutes from MNL airport (15 kms) when I arrived, naturally it was after midnight on a Sunday night (Monday early morning). And another minor complaint, if you want broadband access in your room (not free), someone has to come to your room to get you connected. Anyway, the hotel is connected to a shopping centre (Robinsons Galleria) which has free wi-fi. So for the price of a soft drink I sat at the Burger King for 2 hours and checked my e-mails and surfed the web (it was kind of noisy though).

Last edited by Mr. Roboto; Mar 26, 2008 at 10:30 pm Reason: Addendum inserted