FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont San Francisco
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:03 pm
tcook052
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I thought this thread was a review thread?

I'll bring it back on track by giving a quick very positive impression of the Fairmont SFO after 3 nights there 3-6 March. A local landmark as many Fairmont's are, getting up & down from Nob Hill is a mini-workout in and of itself so felt no need to go to the gym while there.

I was in a standard Fairmont room and while it was very much from a previous generation with high ceilings and a large walk-in closet, the update to the in-room hardware and furnishings feels classy without appearing "antique". The super deep tub was sure a difference from most modern hotels that I find quite shallow. The only knock I can report is I found the walls thin at times when the businessman in the next room was speaking quite loudy to someone on his phone, but that was no big deal and only happened twice in 3 nights. This room was on 8th floor and had almost no view as it looked out into the interior of the building and wasn't the scenic views you get if you pay lots more for the higher floor rooms in the new tower wing. But hey, I wasn't there for sitting in my hotel room looking at San Francisco, I was there to experience the city on my own which I did and very much enjoyed the holiday in what was beautiful 72 degree weather with zero rain. ^

The imposing, soaring lobby is a little intimidating as there's usually a conference or seminar going on with business folks in immaculate suits and ties and I'll admit to feeling somewhat underdressed at times in my jeans & Polo sightseeing comfort casual wear. The check in counters seem a little out of place in the lobby in these wooden boxes that also seem old but guess almost anything else would look even more out of place with the soaring marble columns looming large above you.

I may post a link here as I'll post a much longer and more detailed review with photo's on Trip Advisor one day soon. But safe to say on the whole the Fairmont San Francisco more than met my expectations.