FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - safest airline within Indonesia / fly at all?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:17 am
tonywestsider

Programs: Enough to travel better
I remember in 2005 on my first visit to Indonesia, a Mandala Airlines 737 crashed in Medan. That same time, I flew on Garuda (GA) from CGK to Yogyjkarta on a 737-400. The last year, a GA 737-400 flying on the same route crashed (as previous posts have stated) due to pilot error. I was mortified to find out about the crash as I've flown the same route and perhaps the same plane a year and a half before.

I understand that there was a shortage of well trained mechanics in Indonesia to service airline equipment. Has the situation changed since?

Also, where in Indonesia are you flying to? I remember when we landed or took off from Yogyjkarta, the runway was in such poor condition that the entire plane I was on bounced on landing because the runway was so bumpy. CGK has a smooth runway. DPS also has a smooth runway. I almost thought the GA crash had something to do with the landing gear breaking off, which made some sense to me, although I could be mistaken because Yogya's runway was so bumpy and in such poor condition.