FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simplified excess baggage charge (23kg per bag for all classes)
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:27 am
coolfish1103

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Gotta Requalify

I thought I could quickly answer your concerns but obviously I bumped into the same problem as you.

There is still flexibility in the system as before, however, on the black and white from LAX it is.. (wait for it)

Per extra piece of luggage: US$109 (to South East Asia)
When carrying two pieces but the luggage is declared overweight above the "flexible tolerance": US$327 (to South East Asia)

I fully sympathise with your predicament. The new Zonal excess baggage system was meant to enhance transparency to Singapore Airlines' passengers. Evidently there is still room for improvement.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...gage_zonal.jsp

Nevertheless - I wish you a pleasant flight.
I didn't find anything pertaining to USA/Canada regarding overweight issues. They simply re-directed you to the baggage allowance page, but did not tell you how much it will cost for the extra piece of baggage. According to how they word on the site, it will be charged on a per piece issue.

Singapore Airlines in LAX is a disaster when it comes to baggage weight issues. Nothing more can be said. Even if they were to do this, they should give enough time for the customers to sort out, not one month (Although it does not pertain to me, as I don't fly with them anymore these days...).

Originally Posted by Shofar
I really don't understand the 23K rant.

According to the SQ web page both F and C are entitled to more (32K) and *A Gold to an extra 20K.

What is going on??

Shofar
You need to read very carefully.

This is the link directed for specifically travelling to USA/Canada: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U..._allowance.jsp

At the bottom of the second chart, it says...

From 01 April 2008, for itineraries involving USA and Canada, the allowed weight for each bag will be reduced from 32kg (70lb) to 23kg (50lb). Customers will still continue to enjoy a two-piece free allowance. Excess baggage will be continued to be levied on a per-piece basis.

With this in state, the previous rules still apply, which is this...

Passengers are required to re-pack their baggage if the baggage weight exceeds the above-stipulated limitation per piece. Heavy machinery or spare parts that exceeds the indicated weight above would not be uplifted as baggage to these countries.

Therefore, if you have 30 kg on one of your bags, you have to hand carry 7 kg or put 7 kg worth of items into your 2nd bag and check in with two bags (you will need to carry 2 bags, and the 2nd bag itself also weighs). This would create problems as people do not like to carry so many things. Imagine you carry two bags sliding on the ground and walk with your laptop and a carry on bag while you are on a business trip.. how great do you feel?

Also, before this requirement, let's say you are one of their frequent flyers and you are entitled to four pieces of baggages to travel to/from USA to Singapore. Usually when you travel with them, you just simply carry two bags worth of 32 kg cause you don't have that many things that will fill up four bags. Now with the new rules, you will need to pack up three bags to fit all your belongings (32-23+32-23=18). If you use to go with 3 bags worth of 32 kg, your fourth bag won't even fit everything.

Most of the luggages are designed to fit 32 kg worth of stuff (or they are heavy itself and will take enough weight out already). Imagine now you don't put as many things in there, your luggages will become loose and all your stuff will fly around in the luggage when the very nice ground staff throw your luggage through the air onto the rack. How does that feel? I sure don't like it.