FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Aeroflot have any business being in Skyteam?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:06 pm
sogos

Programs: FB Plat
having spend more than 40 segments in/around FSU last year, I need to give me 2 cents on this topic:
Surely the old Tupolev machines look quite "unusual" for someone, who is used to "western" gear, but I normally don't have any fear sitting in those airplanes (Ok, let's not talk about old Yaks...)
As it has been pointed out here before, the security record of the Tupolevs is not worse than comparable Boeings. In fact quite a few number of the lost TU154 have been simply shut down...
Anyway, Aeroflot is phasing out the old gear (heard the last route will be SVO-KRR - one of my favorite) and on the more popular routes, like SVO-LED you only have Boeings/Airbus anyway.
Maybe the most important thing is: the technicians at the local airports have been servicing those systems since decades and know every bit and bold on these airplanes.
What really makes me scared: not Aeroflot, but the small cheap airlines in FSU, which bought el-cheapo 2nd hand Boeings/Airbuses... I don't want to know, how well they know these systems.

So from a security standpoint I don't have a problem here, comfort - maybe, but I'm not much bothered when the flight is <3 hours...
Aeroflot biggest problem is rather the customer service: rude, inefficient and aggressive let even Alitalia look like a customers heaven

sogos