FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simplified excess baggage charge (23kg per bag for all classes)
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:47 am
Gotta Requalify

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Thumbs down Max Bag allowed only 23KGs for ALL Classes - including First and Business

I know this has its own thread, but I wanted to make sure this stands out.

Singapore Airlines now only allows a bag to weigh a maximum of 23KGs. For First or Business included. This is to all countries, not just North America.

As clarified when I wrote to them.

From 1st April, all passengers travelling to North America will be entitled to carry two pieces of checked luggage with each piece not able to exceed 23kg.

Please note that this limit applies to passengers travelling in all classes on flights to North America.

Kind Regards
Erin
SIA Australia
They cannot call it a health and safety issue, as they will allow you to have bags up to 32KG, but you have to pay for it.

And get this - if you travel to North America, maximum bag weight can only be 23KGs but you aren't charged excess unless you go more than 2 bags. So what happens if you want to take one bag with 30 Kilos - how much do you pay?

Okay as PPS you can have double the number of bags, but who cares if it can only handle 23KG per bag.

I AM NOT TRAVELLING ECONOMY - I AM TRAVELLING BUSINESS. I don't want to take multiple bags. I just want to take a single bag, which normally has 26 or 27 KGs, when I am travelling for multiple days or stops.

So this is the brave new world of Singapore Airlines. Pay Thousands of Dollars for a seat, and Hundreds more for bags over 23KGs.

Take a 30KG bag in Business on any airline in * Alliance, and it is okay.
Take it on Singapore Airlines and pay up to S$490 extra - but only if SQ is the first segment. Fly Lufthansa then SQ - okay. Fly SQ then Lufthansa - Not OK.

So who do I write to tell them that this is a really really stupid idea.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 11, 2008 at 2:59 pm Reason: merged into existing thread