FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pilots strike talks break down. [2008 thread]
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:36 pm
IAMORGAN

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jenbel
No, because it's extremely unlikely they would be part of BALPA - the British AirLines Pilots Association.
Am I missing something? BA pilots are possibly going to strike over the positions of pilots, who have not yet been hired, who work for another airline, based in another country? Surely this is secondary strike action. It's a bit like Comair pilots going on strike for BA pilots. I don't profess to know all of the complexities, but it seems to me that the reasons stipulated for the strike are an excuse to have a pop at the crap BA management. I just wish that someone would fire Willie Walsh and get someone who actually knows how to run a full service airline. I don't generally agree with strike action, especially where it seems to be for people who haven't been employed yet, (a new airline competing on a new route should surely pay less -the pilots are working for a different company -just as people who work for Holiday Inn Express in Bucharest are likely to be on different salaries to those who work for the IC on Park lane).

I just hope that the beligerant unions feel proud when there is no airline left to strike over. Equally, I hope that management pull their act together and engage properly in negotiations.

To be selfishly honest, I hope they get the injunction. I also hope that BA pilots and crew realise that the passengers know that it's BA management at fault, but I dare say O'leary isn't easy to work for, and his crew seem to work.

As a passenger, I may be forced to go on my own strike very soon if this inevitable yearly disruption doesn't stop.

Hopefully, for everyone's benefit, this strike won't go ahead -BA doesn't need this negative publicity.