FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]
Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:12 pm
KENNECTED
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Post Trip Report: The Westin Embassy Row

This is part one, of a two stays over the weekend. I did this to maximize stays since I'm enrolled in the Q1 and Pain Regional bonus promotions.

Since the property is under heavy renovation and I’d stayed here previously I didn’t expect much.

RANKINGS
Check-in/Check-out [4 out of 5]
Better than the past, as there are new employees training in preparation of this property becoming the The Fairfax Hotel. The agent actually told me he was giving me a room that was just released about an hour ago. He also explained about half the floor is done and that the property is still fine tuning things in room recently returned to inventory and specifically asked me to look for anything that they might have over looked as I'm a returning guest and my last stay resulted in an unsatisfactory review.

Common Areas [1]
Many of the common areas are under renovation, the main elevator entry is hit or miss. On one floor part of the floor is renovated and the other section not. Also the Massachusetts Avenue corridor hasn’t been renovated on any floor. This property provides a refreshment center in the lobby. When I was there they provided, Coffee, tea, cookies and fruit.

Guest Rooms [2]
This was a renovated room. The décor is that of a hotel that my grandparents would stay in.

Overall First Impression: Yuk, old school! Not my style. Why is this room so oddly shaped and where does that door lead?
Bed: Very comfortable, linens are very nice.
Furniture & Decor: Nice furniture, in an old school traditional decor. I thought the settee was nice
Closet Space: Large closet with deep shelf. The is a built in safe smack dab in the middle of the closet that takes up space.
TV: New Flat panel TV. But the HD was not activated as of yet. Nice chest, much better than the armoire that housed the TV and media components in the older rooms.
Lighting: the room was well lit and didn’t feel crowded
Workspace: Very small desk not much work space. There are a decent amount of electrical sockets.
View: The view is of the back of the Palamar hotel
Radio/Audio: Another horrible clock. Dear Starwood, please upgrade your clocks.

Guest Room Bathrooms [2]
Standard bathroom. It feels as though this is where the cut corners. They reconditioned the countertops and cabinets. Not “luxury” by any means and not inline with the luxury collection brand image.
Sink: Decent space but still feel its very cramped. You can't see in this picture, but it appears the just took the doors of the old cabinets and reconditioned.
Shower: No separate shower.
Tub: Standard bath, no big deal
Toiletries: Typical Westin toiletries. Note: There are Westin toiletries in the bathroom, but no hardware, since this property will rebrand a Luxury Collection once renovations are complete.

Housekeeping N/A
No issues as I only spent one night in the property.

Club Level/Lounge N/A
No

Fitness Center [1]
The fitness center is lacking, I forgot to ask if it too will be renovated. It’s very eerie!

Pool [N/A]
No pool

Business Center [2]
Business center with two PC, but limit time as they cut off every 20 minutes or so. You can print to the reception desk. IIRC, there might be a fee.

Concierge [N/A]
Didn't use, but there is a concierge on staff located in the lobby across from reception.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [1]
Free wireless in the lobby, restaurant and Business Center. Wired in the room but I don’t know the cost. Once renovated, there will be wireless on the guest floors.

Parking/Valet [5]^
Vastly improved. Called down and the car was ready. I think since most of the property is off line there aren’t many cars to handle.

Dining [2]
Only had the buffet which is the bare minimum, with three stations. Since free, it is often crowded. I suggest going early to avoid crowds and kids. Breakfast is complimentary for all guest.

Miscellaneous
Under renovation so construction is going on and starts & stops at various times of the day, including weekends.

FINAL IMPRESSION
Overall hotel cleanliness:
Hit or miss since the property is in the midst of a renovation.

Staff attitude, conduct & support:
I’d say improved. The new employees are helpful and appear to be proactive in finding you a good room, valet was more responsive.

Excellent location near Dupont Circle. Convenient to public transportation, restaurants and other basic needs.

Would I return?
Not sure. My last stay I clearly screamed “avoid”, with new rooms coming online and the improved employee attitude along with the cheap rate, I could deal with the negatives. Once rebranded, I have no idea if I would return.

Would I recommend this as family friendly?
It’s a toss up. If you’re not looking for a pool or other stuff to keep kids entertained, then this might work. But its close enough transportation and sites to make up

Good for business travelers?
It’s a toss up, based on where you need to be.

Good for a romantic get away?
Some might find it romantic or nostalgic.

Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife?
Sure, as mentioned above

Would I recommend restaurant?
NA

Value for price paid?
Excellent

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 4
Although the room I was assigned is a vast improvement over my last stay I rate the property low because the new motif and no wireless in rooms is not to my standards.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Mar 1, 2008 at 3:21 pm