FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overbooking/Bumped Compensation for Flight
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:10 pm
ViperXF

Programs: SPG Gold, AC E*G
Overbooking/Bumped Compensation for Flight

Hi Everyone,
I did a search in the forum for the aforementioned subject but was unable to find recent detailed information on this topic.

My only experience being bumped involuntarily on a flight occured last year with the Welcome Aboard pass, with a trip to Las Vegas as a non-status member. I ended up being put onto a Phillipine Airlines flight and I had to push for that, and received no other compensation. At the time, I did not know what was going on and the Air Canada gate agents made it seem like it was my fault that I was being bumped (the exact reasoning they provided was that the flight was overbooked when I used the flight credit and I should not have been allowed to be confirmed on the flight since it was overbooked).

Anyways, that's behind me now. After a year of reading the forums, I have gained a better understanding of the system. I have my eyes set on a flight that I'm pretty sure is overbooked (all 0s in seatcounter) and am trying to get a better idea of what compensation I should expect when I put my name on the bump list (A-class fare), and if negotiation is possible.

Flight details:
March 2, 2008
Flight 780 SAN-YYZ

The only other flight to Canada on AC leaves 50 minutes later for Vancouver (Flight 555).

Input from anyone with experience in VDB compensation and overbooked flights is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I believe SAN has UA gate agents.

Last edited by ViperXF; Feb 28, 2008 at 5:10 pm Reason: date